Aussie RVF 400 rebuild

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
Lane
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: MC21,MC22,NC35's,VJ22
Re: Aussie RVF 400 rebuild

Post by Lane » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:47 am

Question for the gurus,

NC30 engine in the bike, it appears to have the NC30 tacho and temp gauge also minus the speedo.

I have a set of NC35 clocks at home and also a complete NC35 loom.

Would i be better of chasing the RVF pick ups and running the NC35 gear or trying to adapt the speedo from the NC35 on the NC30 gauge cluster?

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:35 am

Lane wrote:NC30 engine in the bike, it appears to have the NC30 tacho and temp gauge also minus the speedo.

I have a set of NC35 clocks at home and also a complete NC35 loom.

Would i be better of chasing the RVF pick ups and running the NC35 gear or trying to adapt the speedo from the NC35 on the NC30 gauge cluster?
Certainly is a bitsa!

I would leave as is. The main advantage of running the rvf electrics is that that they're a bit more reliable and better made than the vfr gear.

It used to be an advantage that you could also get hrc cdi's for the rvf loom, however you can get ignitech adjustable ignitions for both looms these days.

From memory I think the rvf speedo will drop straight into the vfr dash (same part?), but if not you could always pick up a vfr speedo for cheap.

Is the engine using rvf or vfr carbs? rvf carbs have black plastic slide covers, the vfr uses metal slide covers.
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

Lane
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Lane » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:41 am

They are metal slide covers with the round vacuum piston.

Hopefully you're right about the speedo dropping in Cammo!

I read here also that i'll need a spacer for the front sprocket? Not sure if it has one already i'll check when i get home, i really need this rain to piss off!!!

Lane
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Lane » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Due to work commitments, holidays in Bali and a lack of RDO's of late. I have struggled to find time for this project.

Luckily, over the last few weeks I have finally been able to spend a bit of time on it again, I have been slowly but surely collecting parts for the project throughout the hiatus.

I sourced a replacement top radiator
2004 600rr calipers and master cylinder
EBC superlite X discs and pads
Goodridge braided lines
Driven 50mm clip ons
Had the Fox Twin Clicker rebuilt and revalved and a 850 pound Eibach spring fitted
New stiffer rate front springs
Sourced a rare as rocking horse shit 17" rear wheel for a good price too
There is some Tyga gear on the way, exhaust, triple clamp, rearsets, a bit of carbon amongst other shit
Some HRC spec carb slides and needles
Koso RX1 Guages
The bodywork should be on it's way soon too.
Can't remember the rest???

Performed a compression test on it the other night and it came up 185psi, 180psi, 175psi (thinking yep sweet engine) and then 145psi, added oil to the offending cylinder and it jumped straight up to over 210psi.

Wasn't an easy task due to not being able to source a compression tester adaptor for 8mm plugs, so i gutted one of the old spark plugs and fashioned my own one.

I was taking the heads off anyway to clean them up and do a bit of porting, so i will split the cases while i'm at it and replace the rings and hone the cylinders, also going to skim 0.5mm off the heads to for extra compression and shim up the cam towers etc to suit.

While i'm waiting for the piston rings to arrive i took to the frame, some knob had attempted to start polishing and gave up and tried to blend it to the anodised finish, so a few sessions with the oven cleaner and some 180 grit, then 220, then some 400 to return that brushed aluminium look that i much prefer, nice big, long and straight strokes and a bit of patience!

Stay tuned for much more as life returns to normal and i can spend more time on it.

Although i have almost come as far as i can until i receive a few parts i'm waiting on.

So, this weekend i might get stuck into project 2 an RGV250 i picked up a couple of weeks ago......

spmotornz
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:

Post by spmotornz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:38 am

hey there have an rvf400 myself with the tyga fairing kit fitted, but was looking through your project and saw the cbr fireblade fairing kit that you where considering and would also like to get more info on the kit, which brings me to the question: who makes this kit and could you provide me a link to their website if you know??

cheers hadyn

Mavirick
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35

Post by Mavirick » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:45 am

Lane

When are wetting some updated on your project

thanks mav

Lane
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Lane » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:26 am

Stripped the engine:

Honed the cylinders and replaced the piston rings:

Some pics during the porting, i need to take some pics of the final product, just removed casting imperfections and opened up the valve bowl slightly and removed all steps and lips on the intake.

Degreased, cleaned and polished up lots of parts and bolts etc:

All new bearings and seals, including that bastard of a swingarm needle bearing!!!

Swingarm and shock mounted up:

Forks rebuilt with Rick Oliver Springs:

Forks on, wheels powdercoated and Power Pures on and EBC X-Lite discs:

Driven Clip ons:

Tyga triple clamps:

Tyga rearsets, heelguards and HRC reservoir":

'04 600RR calipers and master cylinder, rear caliper and master cylinder stripped cleaned and painted:

Carbon rear hugger:

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 pm

Looks good mate
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

Mavirick
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35

Post by Mavirick » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:29 pm

That is looking sick dude

Ipresume your going for a Repsol theme with the orange Rims

MAV

KennonNC29
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by KennonNC29 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Hey Lane saw the other more in depth build thread, how does the bike look now?

Kennon