CRM's RVF400 project - Project " skinned knuckles*"

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
CRM's RVF400 project - Project " skinned knuckles*"

Post by CRM » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:09 am

Well its another year and another project. Had an RVF before and never really took to the bike after so many NC30's for some reason. quality wasnt as good, bit too cramped, and frankly didnt handle as well for me.

So after a few years why do another ? well its simple. getting good parts for the NC were proving more and more difficult, the abundance of shit on ebay made it far more logical to buy bikes and instead of save them, break them instead. but this really isnt a route i want to tread. So i thought why not try another RVF.

The plan is to make a nice RVF to ride all year round, make it cosmeticaly as nice as i can and retain the standard paint and panels in the early scheme, but make sure it fuels nicely, handles nice and is a pleasure to ride. Unsure if i should keep it with a standard exhaust or put something else on. however it wont be something loud or annoying.

The bike

A suitable donor came up at the right price, an early L plate RVF, clearly subject to some war wounds and action over the years, however it was honest where it counted, and while it was a bit of a chance and impulsive purchase, i felt i had nothing to lose and if it was totaly crap i could break it for parts or sell on ebay with the rest of the shit.

So the deal was done, bike paid for and with help from Kris and Tony logistics were taken care of and for that i am very greatfull and deserve some praise.

So the bike arrives and its a runner - sort of. its starts with ease and sounds ok, but is so flat low down its almost unrideable. brakes are shocking, 70 profile supercorsa front makes for some interesting handling, exhaust corroded and rotted, shock totaly goosed, airbox snorkel missing, Some dodgy looking LED indicators with some scotchlocking of a unit to compensate for strobe effect put into the mint loom. But overall, its straight and looking past the rubbish panels, its actually in good shape. I think so far so good.
DSC09173.jpg
DSC09169.jpg
So the strip down begins.

Tearing off all the panels, and rubbish i am greeted with signs of a aerosol "touch up" on the subframe, with a bit of overspray on anything else in the vicinity. however thats nothing. what did greet me was this. a HRC CDI which was nice. peeled the sticker back and sure enough a pukka HRC item.
DSCN0652.JPG
However a bit futher down i see this - yep knackered rectifier connector
DSCN0653.JPG
However all this aside the engine was shockingly filthy. now we all know the RVF cases are not exactly a joy to clean, but these took some scrubbing. then i noticed this etched into the head. any ideas ?
DSCN0654.JPG
So carbs stripped and cleaned, jets were 112's all round but 2 of the pilots were sheared off with some heavy handed jetting in the past.
however the carbs were in excellent shape, no rounded screws or anything, infact the whole bike seems non butchered in the main areas which is encouraging i have to say. Radiators are ok, lower is better than the upper, however both are serviceable and will provide ok cooling for road use.

So today i will do more and show more of my findings.

*typo fix thanks for that
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Insert Signature Here

ibby4585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: SP's
Re: CRM's RVF400 project - Project " skinned knuckels"

Post by ibby4585 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:49 am

You have been busy Paul.

I noticed the HRC tippex the other day didnt want to build your hopes up!!
Please tell me your keeping the red screen and red anodized bits!! :lol: :lol:

Kris

CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:

Post by CRM » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Ssshht :scare: before the taste police come here and i get in trouble.
Actually i was talking to paul about this yesterday, i have taken off so much annodised shit off bikes over the years, i think we need to build a forum special based on as much colour mismatch, crap quality faded shit we can lay our hands on.
Insert Signature Here

CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:

Post by CRM » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:19 pm

bit more today. Found a few nastys typical with age.
front exhaust nuts seized onto the studs.
rear exhaust nuts sheared off the manifold.

however i did notice that the sprockets are original items, and not badly worn. everything seems pretty consistent with 23000 kms, and some time with a mph converter.

There is one item i think is too far gone cosmetically - the swingarm. its just too pitted to ever be nice again. i think i will try and source another soon before i start to build the thing back up.
DSCN0657.JPG
sheared exhaust manifold bolts - arse !
DSCN0659.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Insert Signature Here

alexwitham
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 675R, GSXR6, NC30

Post by alexwitham » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:31 pm

I like project threads :mrgreen:

Best of luck with the build.

arsey30
Reactions:
Bike owned: ftr223 650 bros

Post by arsey30 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:09 pm

[quote="CRM"]Well its another year and another project. Had an RVF before and never really took to the bike after so many NC30's for some reason. quality wasnt as good, bit too cramped, and frankly didnt handle as well for me.

I prefer my 35 to the 30, [mid range and stability] but rode an even better "400" today.

Dave.

micpec
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35’s, NC30 sold, MC34 many

Post by micpec » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Nice project, Paul! I have similar project RVF since July this year...and I know what you are going through :grin: Next to cosmetic issues (my project RVF suffered from a kiss on the cheek of a car...), while dismantling I discovered los of non-genuine bolts and nuts, 2 seized nuts of front exhaust studs, an NC30 cut-off genuine halfsystem with Laser oval carbon can, bend top radiator, sadly no HRC cdi but near new rectifier, both Spiegler steps knackered, etc.

Now I have fitted mostly new genuine Honda parts. Not cheap but well worth it. And this afternoon I run the engine for first time since I started with the rebuild, the engine runs lovely and smooth. JHA kevlar can on standard RVF halfsystem is very nice. I have similar aims with this project...love to get this as another street bike that fuels goods and runs smooth to play with all year (and next year maybe some track days). Not decided yet what fairings I will put on.

Are you going to full standard RR fairings, Paul?

By the way....Krämer Import Export on that HRC Cdi sticker makes me think...You know why? Well, my project RVF is at some point imported from Japan to Germany and this is done by firma Krämer located in Willich! :geek: I can proof it as the main frame no. tag has their name on it with exact same telephone number :peace:

Also, I have noticed exactly similar etchings in the engine heads...I will check again what caracters are etched on mines.
"Action without Philosophy is a lethal weapon; Philosophy without action is worthless"

CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:

Post by CRM » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:20 am

Jason i am going with the standard RR scheme yes. will need to replace all panels as all these are really tatty, fine for winter but thats it.
undecided to stay with 525 chain or goto 520.
Insert Signature Here

jim157
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
Bike owned: A few small ones

Post by jim157 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:33 am

Paul, I'm really interested in this project. I've thought about buying a dog to do up over the winter but I'm probably guessing with the amount of money I'm likely to spend, I may as well buy a minter.

You mentioned that the build quality of the 35 is inferior to the 30, is there really much difference between the two?
AUTOEXEC.TWAT

CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:

Post by CRM » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:45 am

Jim i would agree, if you can find a minter then buy it. so long as your happy with it, and dont feel the urge to strip it and get dirty with it then buy a good bike to start with.

however i wanted one to get to know, and make sure was right and something to do. i have enough projects and ideas this one just moved to the front of the pile for some reason.

i know it will cost a grand more at the end than buying a nice one, but i plan on keeping it. also i wanted an early one too not a later RT model. (personal reasons)

Quality wise, well things just fit a bit better on the 30, less corners cut, and i like the engine finish on the 30 over the rough cast finish on the 35, bodywork fit on the 30 over the 35 and so on. again more personal reasons, but i think most who have worked on both would agree.
Insert Signature Here