Royster81's rides and projects .

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29
Re: Rhory's rides and projects .

Post by royster81 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:24 pm

royster81 wrote: So the only things left to do to the CB400SF at the minute are to replace the headlight and rim as these have some little road rash on them and repair the pitted fork legs, oil has stopped weeping on the left leg so I'll ride away at it and service them over winter, or at least get the summer out of it before taking it apart again.
How wrong was I.....

The seal was damaged hence the leaking leg but Id stuffed a bit of tissue ( cowboy alert !!!!) under the dust seal to catch anything that did make it past the oil seal and this was fine for a few runs but I thought the leak was so slow Id be able to get the summer from it....I was wrong.
On a trip out to see my dad at his caravan I looked down and oil was shooting up from under the dust seal and it was running down the fork leg.
had to turn the bike around and come home it just wasn't safe.
Id looked into getting the fork done over winter and had made my mind up that instead of buying new tubes from Honda Id instead post them to http://www.pittedforks.co.uk/ for rechroming ,rechroming was working out cheaper and ,if you believe the text, the rechroming is harder/more durable than what comes on the bike from standard.
Instead of stripped the forks and posting just the stantions I was going to post the full leg and get phillpots to rebuild them. All I had to do was send them the legs and new bushes,they supply the oil/dust seals and oil and cover return post.
So I whipped the forks out.
Easy peasy, I got online to get phillpots address and then read the text about straightening forks,they say most forks have some degree of bend but if the forks are creased theres nothing you can do.
Guess what.... yep, mine have a few small wavers , I was going to post them anyway in the hope they could be fixed but £20 to post them (if im lucky) for them to tell me their fcuked ( a technical term ) and for me to then pay another £20 for return posted had me thinking should I just but 2 new Honda stantions.
But its not just 2 stantions is it.... I now need oil,oil seals and dust seals ( all the things phillpots suppled ) and the time to strip and rebuild them.
David Silvers to the rescue ( Id hardly call it a fcuking rescue but !)
Since the forks are out i began to strip them, and heres how bad they where...
The mayo type gunk around the top of the lowers
Im no suspension technician but Id say fork oil isn't meant to loo like this
The seals
The bushes, see the right bush has score marks where the pitting has worn away the coating
The pitting on the stantions
And the forks as they sit, stripped ready for the new stantions from Honda.

Honda say they are a special order and could take upto 5 weeks but Im hoping it'll not be that long( phillpots where quoting me a 7-8 week turnaround to rechrome and rebuild them)
So the wait begins
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by royster81 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:32 pm

Since the CB400SF is out of action and the dry weather is here I had to take the VFR400R out on a run and ended up riding to Malin Head, Irelands most northenly point and the filming location for part of the new Star Wars 8 film.
This place has a long history from a look out during the Napoleonic war to US radio signalling base to shipping weather location for the BBC
America is that way...
All in all a good 7 hours riding...
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

JulianBoolean
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by JulianBoolean » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:21 pm

Wemoto do pattern stanchions for the NC31, I don't know if the later model has the same forks, the pitting doesn't look too bad on the ones you have.

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by royster81 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:45 am

Wemoto do list pattern stantions for the vtec but for not a lot more money genuine Honda one are available so I thought I'd stick with the Honda ones

JulianBoolean
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by JulianBoolean » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:23 am

Makes sense

fourfingers
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30RK,NC35RR

Post by fourfingers » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:54 pm

royster81 wrote:
> I was going to post them anyway
> in the hope they could be fixed but £20 to post them (if im lucky) for them to tell
> me their fcuked ( a technical term ) and for me to then pay another £20 for return
> posted had me thinking should I just but 2 new Honda stantions.

That kind of reasoning looks familiar to me. But in my case, I always end up spending more than I wanted and with grease up to my elbows :grin: :grin: :grin: .
Nice bike and nice job, Rhory.

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by royster81 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Update...
After being told on Dave silvers web site I could be waiting up to 5 weeks for the stantchions to come from Japan I was pleasantly surprised when I got an email at the start of the week saying they had been despatched.
So today the box arrived...
Doesn't look like much does it.
So I set about rebuilding them, which went quite quickly due to everything sitting cleaned ready to go.
Here they are with the new stantchions fitted and new seals, just need to add oil and measure air gap, which is where Instagram came to the rescue.
I have an account to share my bike images ( don't judge me please) and I follow a Japanese motoshop,i asked them for advice regarding oil amount and air gap and within hours I had the quantities. Result!
Ready for fitting
And here's the end result
While it was in the garage I cleaned the callipers so now all that's left is a test run... Which is tomorrow

Speedy
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400RR, ER6n

Post by Speedy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Nicely done Sir!
No doubt it cost a pretty penny, but you now have the peace of mind of a fully sorted suspension which should last as long as the original stuff did; just change that oil more regularly than the previous owner did! ;)

P.s. Isn't it nice to get parts much earlier than expected?!!!
When the mind is relaxed, the body will go faster! 8-)

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by royster81 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:36 pm

Yeah it's not something I'd want to pay for again but as you've said it's done and done properly, and it should last another 15 years, by that time I'd be impressed if I still had the bike and it was still running

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by royster81 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:24 pm

Two snaps from today's chilly ride