Royster81's rides and projects .

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29
Re: Rhory's rides and projects .

Post by royster81 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Not me mate, I haven't bought anything..... Yet lol
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by royster81 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:36 am

I have a bit of a problem guy's, the red/black bike has a idling issue and I'm pulling my hair out trying to fix it.
At idle the bike floats or hunts for a stead idle, the carbs have been balanced countless times each time getting better and more level results on the gauges but still the problem exists, the carbs have been cleaned and set to standard with stock jets and filter.
So in my head I think it's safe to say the carbs aren't the issue. The bikes rides perfect and the problem only arises at idle grrrrr
So next I've looked at the coil/ht lead/plug , the front right ht lead was a little short and the cap wasn't sitting on the plug correctly and the lead was corroded so I borrowed a coil from Gareth and thought I had the problem sorted, not so, the bike sounded like it idled better but still it hunts so now I'm thinking if the lead could have got corroded maybe the plug is damaged to.
This is where I'm at at the minute, I'm going to swop the plug out and to completely rule out the carbs I'm going to swop them also.
I've put this on here as a little update but to also see if anyone has had the same problem and what did they do.
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

alexwitham
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 675R, GSXR6, NC30

Post by alexwitham » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:09 pm

Blocked idle jets?

28hodge
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc30 (track) Yam YZ250 (MX)2st

Post by 28hodge » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:14 pm

3 small holes that are under the butterfly, soak in carb cleaner get a tooth brush on them and then a compressor, mine wasn't right at idle sand this seemed to sort it, but that was on a set of carbs/bike that had stood for 10 years and were rank, so may not be your issue, worth a shot tho

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by royster81 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:31 pm

I'm off to a friends tomorrow with a can of carb clean to use his compressor, wish me luck !

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by royster81 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:41 pm

Ok, I think I have the issue sorted (he says with his fingers crossed touching wood).
I'm still on the original carbs but I'm rebuilding a 2nd set and I bought a 2nd set of coils but I got ht lead from Rick and rebuilt the original coils.
But that's not where the list of parts finishes.
When I was fitting Gareths coil I noticed the lead was a touch short which , over time it had let water into the plug hole. A build up of water had damaged the ht lead core so I wanted to change the plug as well and while I was stripping the parts to do the plug I found the plug was finger tight ! And there was a hole in the rocker cover.......
Soooooo, a replacement cover from Vic ( many many many thanks ) ,a replacement plug,the new ht lead from Rick and a thorough cleaning with a can of carb cleaner,a pot of paraffin and 120psi from a compressor should have the problems sorted

Right ?
Vics papa bear also straightened out a screen brace for me so it's needing painted so the bike is still in pieces, albeit less pieces that it was but I can't get a test run on it.

In time .........

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by royster81 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:27 pm

small update.
test ride complete and i think the idle issue has been sorted (hip hip horayyy )

so on to the next job, at my last MOT the examiner suggested the clutch cable was near the end of it life as it was fully adjusted out with little to no freeplay and the chain and rear sprocket where showing signs of wear, he wasn't far wrong and i always meant to put a new chain and sprockets on it but you know how it is, one thing leads to another and things get put on the back burner, until now.
chain, F/R sprockets, oil filter,oil,clutch have all been purchased from rick along with the chain tool to fit the chain.i'm off work all this week so i have no excuse not to have the work done (but i'll find one lol) and it should be ready for it's next MOT.
picture updates tomorrow.

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by royster81 » Fri May 23, 2014 6:26 pm

another small update.....

since my last one (above) ive managed to fit a chain,oil,oil filter, front sprocket and rear sprocket, it's only taken 3 weeks but its done now ( finally).

i also tried to fit a chinese bodykit. i picked it up cheap and it had a little road rash but nothing major. this is my 3rd time seeing chinese panels and i have to say im very inpressed with the thickness of them and they do go together well, not as well and OE honda panels but well enough to have a bike look presentable, i could class mine as 'good from far'.but after a week or so fighting with them, mainly due to the fact they had damage from the previous owner i decided to put them back in the roofspace and refit the OE honda panels. when i have more time, patience i'll have another crack at fixing them and refitting them. but for now i need an MOT and some time to ride it ........

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by royster81 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:28 pm

Well i did it.
3 years ago i hinted at it in this thread and this December i finally took the bull by the horns and bought the bike ive been talking about for years. To some its not going to be that interesting but to me its something nice and interesting and different to the other 400's i own.
So the story goes,
In 2007 i sold my 600 Hornet, it seemed like a good idea at the time but looking back it was foolish, and shortly after realizing it i thought it would be nice to have another naked upright bike but a 400 this time, something along the lines of a CB400SF.
The plan was that me and a good mate would buy a project bike each, powder coat the frame and wheels, tidy the engine and paint up and enjoy them.Different things happened that stood in my way but this was something i wanted to do so the plan stayed on the back burner, Gumtree was checked occasionally as was Ebay but cheap bikes would come up when funds where low or an ideal bike would come up a billion miles away and it wasnt possible to get it.
My mate on the other hand picked a bike up just over a year ago,a red '92 CB400SF Project Big 1,it looked and sounded ideal so he did the deal, rode it home and parked it up. Once in the garage and with good lighting he could see what was needed to be done and it lasted two or three days before it was stripped. I never even saw it complete, the first i saw it was when him and i took the engine out of it so the frame and parts could go to powder coat and the engine could get a lick of paint.
I was about to get taught a valuable lesson and fortunately for me (unfortunately for my mate) i wasnt the one to go through the pain.Yes the bike ran, it ran very well infact but once it was apart the issues started to arise, old tired shocks against the new powder coat looked wrong so new Hagons where ordered, a damaged road rashed headlight ruined the look of the front so a new one was ordered,bodges where fixed and damaged worn out parts were replaced but it all cost and the rebuild ended up costing more than the initial purchase. At this stage i knew maybe a project bike wasnt the best idea,i needed the best bike i could start off with,and this is when i started to get picky.
My ideal bike was a CB400SF VTEC but they cost more than i was willing to pay,so i started looking at later '95-'96 models, models with the fuel gauge in the clocks and version Rs with the small fairing, just something a bit different to the first model that my mate had.
A few bikes came close to being bought and my mate and i went to look at one fairly local to us but my wife kept saying to me if your going to buy one buy the one you want, not just one you can afford but the one you actually want, that way when i start tidying it up ill be happy with the end result and not a bike that ended up costing me lots and me still pining for a VTEC.
Then this appeared, but 300+ miles away and more than i wanted to pay...

Last edited by royster81 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:08 pm

Link not working :-(

Glad you're getting one you like. There was a silver one with the blue stripes on a while ago that I was all moist over.