SELEXON'S NC29 Pre Modern Racer

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9
Re: SELEXON'S NC29 Pre Modern Racer

Post by CMSMJ1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:32 am

Keep it coming. Looking like a tasty moto..and we like tasty motos!!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

selexon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400R 2TK, CBR400RR NC29

Post by selexon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:55 am

Finally got back into it tonight after x-mas break. As of today i got little over three weeks before my first race meet. I still have to assemble the heads, A full re-shim is in order as I got the inlet cams reground.

I spent tonight honing the cylinders, installing new piston rings and assembling the bottom end.

So after its was known that I had to strip it down the decision was to make it run with a total loss ignition system after the rebuild.

Below is a few photos of the plug which I had to make to replace the 30mm hole that the starter motor left after its been removed.
It is a simple setup with two discs of alloy machined which sandwich an o'ring to help seal the hole. A 6mm bolt is used to tighten it all up.

selexon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by selexon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:07 pm

For the time been I have left flywheel on, if I want to loss more weight in the future i can remove it and replace it with a smaller machined unit. Also was not sure how much weight will need to be left on the crankshaft to keep it spinning easier enough from take off and rolling off throttle into turns.

After taking the stator out I was lucky enough to realize that the rubber triangle seals that the wires run through are removable from the stator setup. So these have been used with a shit load of three bond to seal up the small holes and gap that the wires leave behind

Again I was lucky enough to find that a front axle spacer from a bevel drive ducati is spot on for sizing to act as a spacer for where the starter sprag is taken from and the ignition plate bolts onto the end of the crank shaft.

Jinx
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Jinx » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:43 pm

Great to see an NC29 getting some treatment. Good luck with your build, hope it all goes smoothly

selexon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by selexon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:58 am

Jinx wrote:Great to see an NC29 getting some treatment. Good luck with your build, hope it all goes smoothly
Cheers Mate the big test is on Sunday, So fingers x it all goes well.

Got one day left to fit body work, race numbers and a quick going over to make sure nothing is loose.

Pick up a fairing stay bracket set and rearsets of racesupplies, top notch gear really impressed.

selexon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by selexon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Had a great day on the bike. The electrics were sweet. The only problem was a suspect radiator cap as it started to fill the over flow bottle at the end of the last race.

selexon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by selexon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:20 am

So the radiator came back all ok. There is nothing wrong with the bloody thing, so now I'm gonna have to take the head off and get the marks near the water jackets checked out as its the only other thing that could be causing the cooling system to heat up and expand.

On a good note, I had my new race battery turn up from the states today.

The thing only weights 730g compared to the 4kg odd normal battery. And is good to run for about 45mins or so which is plenty for us down here as the longest race I would see in a meeting would be about 15-20mins.

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:40 pm

selexon wrote:So the radiator came back all ok. There is nothing wrong with the bloody thing, so now I'm gonna have to take the head off and get the marks near the water jackets checked out as its the only other thing that could be causing the cooling system to heat up and expand.
NC29's run hot on track with a standard radiator, most people upgrade to a larger unit off a different model (zxr400, R1 etc).

There are a few threads on this in the CBR section, a search should turn something up. :peace:
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

selexon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by selexon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:05 am

Hi Cammo,

I had read about them running quite hot before purchasing the bike, So I was happy to see that it had a BIKE RAD Alloy racing unit installed when I went and picked it up.

The main problem was that it spat out about 750ml of water into the overflow bottle throughout the day.

In the first practice session it was already spitting water into the overflow bottle on the 3rd lap. :x

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:35 am

Ahh... well that doesn't sound quite right then!

Might be worth checking that you have the correct pressure rad cap (and no damage) and that the thermostat has been removed (won't help when boiling over but will improve the water flow and prolong the boil over).
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks