HRC VF400RK TT F3 Replica.

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VF400RK, TRX850 , Bultaco T350
Re: HRC VF400RK TT F3 Replica.

Post by colinf » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:57 pm

Found these the other night.They were on a Japanese website which i couldn't find the translation for ( not that it always helps much!).CBR400F and VF400 RK both mentioned in text and i think they may have been listed earlier this year from what i could make out.
[img]
img_0.jpg
[/img]
[img]
img_1.jpg
[/img]
Now i thought these were VF400 but the CBR400 ones look very similar.They do look like the one fitted to the "blue bike" featured earlier but looking at pictures of the HRC and Honeybee bikes there are slight differences. The seat unit flares at the back at an angle on the sides but the HRC and Honeybee bikes seem to have a flare parallel bottom edge.Also the back lower edge is curved on these but straight on the racer. Obviously if this sort came up i'd have it but i think i prefer the shape on the racer........what do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ligurt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ligurt » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 pm

Wow, thei're stunning. Don't let them pass. You're far better than me in finding archeological reperts.

ligurt
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ligurt » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Ah, I hope your friend feels better and better. I've experienced such troubles and still have the marks on my body. It's hard for his family too. These situations make me think at the way we all ride and it's always more dangerous nowadays.

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:27 pm

He is just starting to walk now and the crash was at easter! He's actually going to do a walk on Christmas morning to raise money for the air ambulance that saved him.Anyone can see his story on the Just giving website by searching for " greg's groggy steps" He hopes to raise £3500 which is the average cost of an air ambulance flight and is over the £2000 mark already.He lives close by so i will be there Xmas morning willing him on.His target is to walk un-aided the 400 yards from his house to the station.

duke748bp
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Ducati 748, VF400, NC30

Post by duke748bp » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Found a few detail pics of the Honeybee bike that may help you.
http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl ... ml&act=url

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:29 am

Thanks duke748bp for that , i appreciate the input.I do have those but hadn't put them up on this thread.They are the best pics though and the ones i'm using for the details. You can see the difference between the exhausts used here and the "HRC" ones shown earlier from an auction site.Do you think the full fairing is RS250? Please keep sending any pics/info/opinions etc....it all helps.
Will be out in the shed over the next couple of days so should be able to update on some actual progress!

TURK122
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by TURK122 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Found some pictures for you. Please feel free to delete if not applicable [IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 03de99.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 8fa559.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... b19d26.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Found on picstar

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks Turk122, as per Duke748bp i do have these in my reference files but didn't post them.I'll leave them so others can see them though.Thanks for the input, i'm amazed anyone's following still! Been out in shed so will update later in week.

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Happy New Year to all!
After eating way too much over Christmas and Boxing day i actually managed some shed time between then and New Year.
Without going over too much old ground i'd decided the NS400R rear wheel was probably the best solution.It is 17" rather than the 18" used on the Honeybee racer ( I now think an RS250 rear) so the idea was to squeeze on a 120/90 tyre to gain back a little of the lost overall diameter. Ian Wright at Classic Race Replicas sorted me out with the wheel but was out of rear discs.I resorted to ebay to find a sprocket carrier, disc, vf500 caliper and mount and a used tyre to test fit. If you search for tyres with that sort of profile on 17" rims most of what you find is for adventure/trail type bikes. I managed to find a 120/90x17 on a suzuki rim for £18.99! thought i'd be able to sell rim on.It was listed by a trailbike centre who got it in a consignment, they wrongly described it as GS550/Katana. The only rim i can find in my reference books that style and 17x2.50 is of the XN85 Turbo!
The NS wheel fits the VF400 spindle to simplify things a bit. With the sprocket carrier and disc fitted and the VF500 caliper mount on the spindle too it was time to see how it would fit. I centralized the wheel(with tyre) on the spindle/swingarm and the tyre fits nicely in the swingarm.
The sprocket carrier came with a very worn sprocket still attached which allowed me to check chain/sprocket alignment.
Plenty of room for chain to pass tyre and the drive sprocket just needs to go inboard by about 5mm . This will just require a spacer between the sprocket and the locktab, so far so good......incidentally i will replace the 530 chain with a 520.
The VF500 brake set-up uses a caliper that looks like the racer ( and the NS400 ) and the caliper mount should mate with a lug on the swingarm ( VF400 and VF500 brakes were different but the swingarm is the same).The alignment of the caliper and disc using the original spacer off the VF400 is spot on but it's too high, the pads would only contact the disc half way up.This would be easier to modify if it used a torque-arm as you'd only need to reduce the "length" of the carrier about 10mm.The problem is that the slot for the lug and the hole for the spindle must stay on the same level which would mean reducing the length by the 10mm and the height by 15mm.The pads would then contact the disc correctly but there isn't enough room to drop the caliper without fouling the swingarm.
The NS400R caliper looks the same but has 27mm pistons rather than the 30mm on the VFs.It does use a torque-arm but i think it might be worth getting the caliper and mount as the spacing for the discs will be right as will the alignment.It may be possible to swing the carrier around unti it looks right and see if a neat engineering solution can be found to anchor it to the swingarm.
http://wwhttp://www.400greybike.com/for ... 26e4a0048f
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colinf
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by colinf » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:56 pm

The top picture above shows the NS set up and the lower one what the VF set up is like on the NS wheel. Forgot to mention that the NS uses 220mm disc while the VF uses 255mm.I knew this but still thought the VF set-up was worth a go thinking that if the alignment was right ( which it was ) it might be simple to modify the carrier ( which it wasn't!). While on the subject of brakes i mentioned a while ago that i was going to experiment with drilling a set of VF500 front discs to match the pattern on the racer. I really expected someone to say this is a bad idea but no-one has.When i started riding on the road most modified bikes were still Z kwaks,CB Hondas,GS suzis,and Aircooled RD yams and i had friends with bikes that had quite heavily drilled discs and i don't remember anyone coming to grief because of them,so...............
Looking at pictures of the front discs on the Honeybee bike it looked like a pattern of 5 sets of 4 holes every 120 degrees so the inner most hole aligned with the mounting bolt every other one.I drew out the disc on paper and took a "rubbing" of the hole pattern from the rear disc as a starting point.From a position in line with one bolt hole the holes went round in a 7 degree spacing but spiral out towards the edge of the disc.The holes in the NS250R disc ( same as NS400R) aren't as regularly spaced as you might think so the first time i drew it using measurements from one set of holes it didn't work out as i'd compounded an error by duplicating it exactly.The second time i drew it i evened out the radius to the hole centres to 5mm increments and with each set of four holes starting every 24 degrees.
I got hold of a 5mm thick mild steel plate to transfer the pattern to in order to make a jig for drilling.Luckily the discs are flat so the same jig can be used for either side also as the pattern repeats itself every 120 degrees i only needed to put 5 sets of holes in it so i could drill 5 sets then move it round 120 degrees on the jig each time.