Site HomeAbout 400GreyBikeBuyers GuidesDocument LibraryIt is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:10 am

Winter Racing - Not 400 related

Need to know who's going where and when. What rounds are happening and when? This is the place for you!
  • Author

CB1pod70

NWAA Supporter

NWAA Supporter

Winter Racing - Not 400 related

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 1:28 pm

I think this is one for Zippy.

Like a lot of you, I was getting withdrawal symptoms now that the race season has finished and few of the guys I race mentioned that they were going to give mini bike racing a go. I was a bit dubious as I thought that it involved riding indoor kart circuits on those child sized mini GP bikes where you end up with your knees around your ears but no this is quite different. The series is run by British Minibikes and basically involves supermoto versions of the Stomp type trials bikes that have been invading our shores from China and outdoor Kart circuits.

The guys at British Minibikes have a fleet of hire bikes and for £165 you get to turn up for the day and use one of their bikes. Included in the day is a practice session, qualifying and then 2 races. I just had to give it a go... So booked myself in at the end of November at Whilton Mills Circuit in Northamptonshire.

In the first session I managed to crash twice! After the first crash I picked the bike up and wheeled it behind the safety barrier as you would on a trackday or race. After a few minutes one of the marshals came running up and the following conversation ensued
Marshal "you Ok?"
Me "yes"
Marshal "Is the bike OK?"
Me "think so"
Marshal "Well get back out on track then!"
Me "Oh, OK"

I had a great time and would recommend it to anyone. Here's their website http://www.britishminibikes.com/
Last edited by CB1pod70 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

CB1pod70

NWAA Supporter

NWAA Supporter

Re: Winter Racing - Not 400 related

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 1:39 pm

Of course the inevitable has happened and here is my latest Ebay purchase

You can buy a new bike for between £1300 - £1500 but I didn't quite fancy spending that given that I've two CBR400 engines to rebuild so this seemed like quite a good deal at £500. It's at the lower end of the specification range but will do to start.

I've given it a thorough going over and have to say that the quality of these have improved in the last few years and I only needed one helicol. Oh yes and I splashed out on a new set of wheels & tyres as running on 5 year old slicks at this time of year didn't really appeal.

The bike had it's first outing this weekend and apart from needing to change the gearing (£5 front sprocket) a slipping clutch (which the seller warned me about) and needing to adjust the suspension lots, it's not a bad little bike. I picked up a new clutch assembly (plates, springs and basket) at the meeting for just £30 so these will be chucked in over the weekend ready for the next round on the 29th.

reverse cylinder jim

Site Supporter

Site Supporter

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 9:42 am

Awesome, I really fancy having a go at this. Was the meeting on the 29th the 4 hour endurance at Teeside?

CB1pod70

NWAA Supporter

NWAA Supporter

PostSun Jan 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Not aware of the Teeside enduro but I was at Whilton circuit near Northampton. It really is a giggle, everyone is really friendly and it's not too expensive. The only downside is that everyone I know who's tried it has ended up buying a pit bike

Return to Racing Events, Rounds, and the Racers Lounge