Purge/Surge Hose Canister System Cali Model GSF400

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
lknbandit400
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Purge/Surge Hose Canister System Cali Model GSF400

Post by lknbandit400 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:19 pm

SevenThreeSeven wrote:I modified my B4, that's how I dealt with the DOT stupidity.

I searched around and found FastEddy Sports in the U.K., they have produced a plug-n-play modification that keeps the headlight off when you key-switch the bike to "ON". The headlight stays off while you start up the bike and then when you want the headlight to come on you flip the headlight switch to High-beam then back to Low-Beam. After that the headlight will operate normally, low-beam and high-beam.

It works with the B4 because it's designed to work with an H4 Headlight bulb, which the B4 uses. The FastEddy Sports people originally developed this modification for the early fuel injected Triumph motorcycles which were very hard to start due to battery draw.

https://www.fasteddysports.com/products ... uct_id=882
Well I'm definitely purchasing this. Can't ask for a simpler solution. Just makes me wonder what is different now than when it rolled off the showroom. Why did it start then and not now? Loss of compression? Bad electrical connections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SevenThreeSeven
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SevenThreeSeven » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:44 pm

Yes, I think that when these B4s were new everything was working better, and that's what it needed to start "right on the button". As they got older and fell slowly out of tune they got harder and harder to start and I think that a lot of them ended up getting pushed to the back of a garage (in final frustration). And that's how we got them with low miles all these years later.

SevenThreeSeven
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SevenThreeSeven » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Although, here's another thought that has occurred to me: I wonder what's hidden behind that little blank-out plate on the U.S. B4's right handlebar? It wouldn't surprise me at all if all the wiring for the headlight switch (that every other country-specific B4 variant got) is hidden right behind that blank-out plate. I didn't think of this when I was refurbishing my B4, but if the wiring is there you could find a non-U.S. right handlebar control group and retrofit it.

ventYl
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSF 400 Bandit

Post by ventYl » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Another cure to this problem may be to go over all the electrical connections in the bike. Especially those which deal with high currents. My bike had R/R to battery connector partially melted after only like 25k kms. Same for headlight connector. Resistance due to poor connection may cause voltage drop and then poor spark. I replaced all the worst fast-on connectors and re-soldered everything I could get to. This will also prevent or at least slow down future rusting a lot.

lknbandit400
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by lknbandit400 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:42 pm

Sorry, guys I was out of the country for a bit. Fast Eddy was unfortunately out of these modules but I found another solution. A friend of mine owns a motorcycle shop called Sparck Moto. He specializes in custom wiring harnesses and electrical components, and he built a wiring harness for my CB175 in the past. His work is great and he's a standup guy. Google "Sparck Moto" for his website.

I asked him if there was a way for me to wire my bike so that power is cut to my headlight when the starter is engaged. He wrote the following response, I executed and it worked like a charm:

"A standard five pin automotive relay will do the trick.

Pin 85 - Splice into green/yellow wire coming from the right switch
Pin 86 - Ground (black/white wire in harness)
Pin 30 - Harness side of the yellow/white wire going to left control and connect to this pin, instead
Pin 87a - Yellow/white wire that connects to the left control now goes here, instead of the harness
Pin 87 - Not used. Cap it off to avoid a short circuit"

lknbandit400
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by lknbandit400 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:52 pm

Here's a video.

https://youtu.be/ODGo91znqSw

ventYl
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSF 400 Bandit

Post by ventYl » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:25 am

Definitely an improvement. I wonder why this kind of relay wasn't installed from factory if cars do have them for decades. But still I think your wiring harness is in less-than-optimal state. I am frequently doing what your bike was up until recently. In order to not forget to turn lights on I never turn them down. They are turned down automatically by key. And my bike does not suffer from similar problems.

Go and check electrical connections (if you did not check it previously) as now poor connections may break completely leaving you on a side of road with dead bike no matter the X relay. Similarly to how my bike nearly let me down in nearby city due to poor electrical connections in charging circuit.

lknbandit400
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by lknbandit400 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:21 am

For what it's worth, this mod is AWESOME. I'm so confident riding the bike now as it happily starts right up every time. I'm cruising at 100 smiles per hour