1992 GSF400 Carb Conundrum

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Maelstrom
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: MC22, 3TJ1
Re: 1992 GSF400 Carb Conundrum

Post by Maelstrom » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:50 am

lknbandit400 wrote:I guess in all the hubbub I forgot that I have 1.5 air jets in instead of 1.45 because of the lack of availability of the 1.45. Since air is so much thinner than fuel, I'd suspect I'd need to go up in pilot anyway to maybe a 35 or higher, then bring the fuel screw in to maybe 2.5 turns out. All this of course after I get them balanced with a gauge. Does that sound about right?
This makes sense.

Love your work, methodical and no shortcuts.
cheers
Blair
Carb seal kits in viton & other parts
https://litetek.co

lknbandit400
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by lknbandit400 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:45 am

LiteTekBlair wrote:
lknbandit400 wrote:I guess in all the hubbub I forgot that I have 1.5 air jets in instead of 1.45 because of the lack of availability of the 1.45. Since air is so much thinner than fuel, I'd suspect I'd need to go up in pilot anyway to maybe a 35 or higher, then bring the fuel screw in to maybe 2.5 turns out. All this of course after I get them balanced with a gauge. Does that sound about right?
This makes sense.

Love your work, methodical and no shortcuts.
cheers
Blair
Thanks man.

lknbandit400
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by lknbandit400 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:00 am

**warning - life altering pictures below. The tank turned out beautifully.

One problem and I'd like your opinions. The painter had to use a stud gun to pull the crease out. The inside of this tank is perfect, and now the paint is perfect. I'd hate to put fuel in it and find out that the stud gun left a pin hole ruining my whole paint job when I fill it with gas. It's a gamble. My painter is suggesting I use Caswell interior coating inside to be safe.

I'd hate to coat a tank that doesn't need it, but I'd hate to ruin an expensive paint job because of a pin hole left by a stud gun. I'm not sure how often this happens. What would you guys do? Coat it or take a risk?

lknbandit400
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by lknbandit400 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:14 pm

I decided that I should coat the inside of the tank. With ethanol in today's gas along with the dent pull issue I posted last time, I figured it would be prudent. I went with Caswell and it was Awesome. Easy to use, effective, and cured overnight. I need to let it sit for another few days but I'm waiting on a replacement gasket from Pingel anyway along with some closed cell foam to replace the insulation under the tank that was removed when it was painted.

http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas ... ealer.html

I used a expanding plug for the filler hole, duct tape for the petcock hole, and bolts with o-rings and grease for the petcock mounting holes.