92 starting trouble

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
scottcallaghan
Settled in member
Reactions:
92 starting trouble

Post by scottcallaghan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:38 pm

heya guys had a quick look over for advice with my problem. I purchased a bandit 400 a few days ago and am having trouble starting it. I have a fully charged battery, fuse box and other electrical components have been checked and cleaned. I cleaned the carbs out and am getting a spark to all 4 coils, i'm a bit baffled by the fuel set up as i haven't worked on a 4 cylinder 4 stroke before so this could be my fault, can anyone post a pic of their fuel set up?
cheers guys

scottcallaghan
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: 92 starting trouble

Post by scottcallaghan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:53 pm

Update carbs and fuel tank been cleaned out again. When I turn the ignition key on the starter relay clicks and again when i turn it off it clicks. When I press the starter button the starter solenoid clicks, Is this normal or is my fault electrical?

Ozzie9962
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Ozzie9962 » Fri May 08, 2015 9:11 pm

Am having the same problem won't turn over just clicks I have checked nearly every connection but still stuck any ideas would be gratefully appreciated

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Fri May 08, 2015 9:52 pm

How it works is the solenoid is a switch, you got two wires from the starter that when switched make the solenoid connect the thick wires together effectively connecting the battery to the starter.
It will spark and make you jump but if you short the two large terminals the starter should turn, id only do it for a split second to see of it works, then short the two thin wires together, again should turn over.
If either does nowt then you have a fault on that side of the electric.

If the large turn and the small do nothing then the solenoid is kaput.

SevenThreeSeven
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SevenThreeSeven » Mon May 11, 2015 2:43 am

You are remembering to hold the clutch lever "in" during these start attempts, right?

I only ask this question because I've done this myself while working on the bike in the garage.

It's an odd thing, when I'm sitting on the bike, planning on riding it, the act of pulling in the clutch lever during starting is second nature but when I'm working on the bike in the garage I always forget.

Ozzie9962
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Ozzie9962 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Didn't know you had to pull the clutch lever in

Ozzie9962
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Ozzie9962 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:21 pm

Mine starts and runs without pulling the clutch lever in but the idling is up and down all the time so I turned the idle screw in a touch and it goes to 4000 revs then back to a 1000 then stalls

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:06 pm

check my new post in gsxr section about air leaks with bandit 400 carb rubbers ref poor starting.