Carb advice

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
ventYl
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSF 400 Bandit
Re: Carb advice

Post by ventYl » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Off-idle is governed by fuel screw and/or carb sync. First do the sync then adjust mixture, if needed. If mixture is not off quite a lot (you'd have unstable idle or bogging under WOT around 4k - 6k) it won't have big impact on carb sync.

lknbandit400
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by lknbandit400 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:02 am

Judging by your first post, I think you're the guy I'm messaging on Facebook on the GSF400 page about a set of carbs. I sent you pictures tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ventYl
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSF 400 Bandit

Post by ventYl » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:32 am

You judgement is wrong. I don't have Facebook account for more than 5 years :) If you still did not sort out the issue PM me and we will see what we can do about it.

chalkysexplorer
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by chalkysexplorer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:25 am

Thought you guys would be pleased to know she's sorted. Grabbed a set of carbs off a guy on the FB page, thanks Greyson. Anyways, I've been in L.A. working but was home this week. Unpacked the new carbs, stripped my #3 and swapped the new parts into the replacement, cleaned #3. Quick bench sync, set the mixture screws at 2-1/2 and she fired right up and ran really nicely. Took her out for a ride and she running great, really put a smile on my face.

The wife and I went for a ride together the following day and she loves it!! She says she can feel the difference which is a plus. I told her not to be afraid of revving it a bit and the next thing you know, she's leaving every intersection like she's Valentino Rossi!!!

Also did a coil on plug swap with a set of coils of an R1 and made my own harness. Seems to make a small difference.

Since I'm back to L.A. tomorrow I dropped it at Vicious Cycles in PDX for a sync and fine tune while I'm away. Pretty chuffed, thanks for all your help.

SevenThreeSeven
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SevenThreeSeven » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:32 pm

chalkysexplorer wrote:Also did a coil on plug swap with a set of coils of an R1 and made my own harness. Seems to make a small difference.
Trying to calculate or verify the value/improvement to performance of the coil-on-plug (a.k.a. Stick Coil) conversion (when the OEM Suzuki CDI box is still used as the ignition control method) is a bit of a rabbit-hole of math with a lot of variables/possibilities/theories in play.

I've seen/read forum threads (on other motorcycle sites) where guys were endlessly debating this subject. In the case of the GSF400 you may have hit upon a lucky combination of the Dwell period commanded by the OEM Suzuki CDI box matching up very well with the OHM resistance measurements of the windings inside the R1 stick coils (one or both, the primary or the secondary or maybe even both of them) to produce a spark that is as good or better than the OEM coils.

RaulMAB
Settled in member
Reactions:
Carb advice

Post by RaulMAB » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:01 am

Hi,
I need to sync my carbs after cleaning and servicing them.
I have a set of 4 carb tune gauges stick type
Can someone give me some advice on what order to sync the carbs, and any other useful advice that might make the job easier.

Cheers
Neil

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:18 pm

Start with the engine cold, connect the 4 rubber hoses on in order onto the carb tops. Identify the 3 sychro screws, and know how to get a screwdriver on before the engine's running. 1 in the middle of the carbs, and 1 between 1+2 and 3+4.
Let the engine run up on fast idle approx 2000 revs, observe gauges. synchro the outer 2 to each other 1st (1+2, and then 3+4), using the outer screws and then finally balance each outer pair to each other using the centre screw. The centre screw is the one you touch last. The engine should be nice and warm by this point, as ideally the engine needs to be at operating temp but it's not critical.
Make sure you have good plugs, and have no air leaks around the carb rubbers, otherwise you will never balance the carbs.

Nick.