Tyre Sizes

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
H D
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Derbi Senda
Tyre Sizes

Post by H D » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:58 pm

Within the next month or two I will be changing the tyres. The current tyres are just to get me through the MOT and on the road really.

Not too bothered on the make of the tyre as I have and will be doing some reading but more concerned about tyre sizes.

On the net, it says standard tyre size is 110/70-17 and 150/70-17. I am running a 120/70-17 on the front at the moment.

Now would it be better to go to a 110 on the front again or stick with a 120?

And for the rear, there seems to be a lot more options in the 160 size. Will that have adverse handling affects?

In 120/150 trim, I can get a set of Maxxis Supermaxx's that seem cheap, get good reviews online and I know a guy that uses a set on a B4 too but just wondered what difference sizing will have?

Cheers fellas!

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: R6, YZF600R
Re: Tyre Sizes

Post by thunderace » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Personally I'd try to stick with standard sizes, they were fitted with that size tyre after millions of Yen spent on R&D. However, a 120/160 combo shouldn't cause any real problems but it will slow down steering a bit.

I've got the Supermaxx tyres on the R6 at the mo - shit hot for the money! :mrgreen:
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.

H D
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Derbi Senda

Post by H D » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:51 pm

So 110/150 then?

And where did you get yours, cos the cheapest place I can find is eBay. I buy loads from there so don't get me wrong, but don't know if I'd be happy buying a set of tyres from there :/

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: R6, YZF600R

Post by thunderace » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:37 pm

if you can't get a good price at your local garage, try RoundAndBlack on eBay :peace:
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.

templin
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: list to long

Post by templin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:12 pm

on my bandits i run 120/60-17 with 150/70-17 and she runs sweetly i have tried the 160 but fund i could not fully use tyre so for the bucks spent i just use the 150 as for the front the factroy fitted 110 due to cost of tyres but the 120 is cool to use (the 600/750 bandits RF use same size rim and are fitted with 120)

:rocks: