changing head and head gasket

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
geeman88
Settled in member
Reactions:
changing head and head gasket

Post by geeman88 » Wed May 21, 2008 1:09 am

im going to be changing the head on my 76a hopefully in the near future when my course finishes for the summer, i obviously need a new head gasket,cam chain and tensioner. for this and was wondering if most bike parts places will sell them??? or will i have to order it off the net somewere. i feel that i should change the tentioner and cam chain because its off and might as well... if im going about this wrong please correct me im used to cars i know the principles are the same but some things are different.

ive got as far as taking all fairing etc off not going too far because i dont have the time with heavy exams and assignments. too be ohnest i got as far as the rocker cover. but on inspection i could not see how to loosen off the cam tentioner... so stopped...

if there is a workshop manuel that would be great??? or if someone has the time too do a step by step it would be great and any other parts i might need...

sorry to be a pain but this is my only form of transport for next year and i cant really F&*k it up and dont have the money to pay someone too do it.

oh and i noticed there is abit missing from one of my carbs, it sits on top of the jet and then the spring sits on top of that. sort of like a little yellow/orange button. is it possible to pick this up anywere or am i looking to get a new set of carbs to get this one bit???

thanks for any help in advance sorry if i sound like a right noooob

andywilkins
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: changing head and head gasket

Post by andywilkins » Sun May 25, 2008 8:50 pm

If its anything like the GK73a you might find changing the cam chain a bit of a challenge, I had to split the bottom of the engine to do mine, got a feeling the plastic slider the tensioner pushes is much of the same, the tensioner itself is easy though. I've got a bandit 400 manual - the engine is the same as the 73 and not entirely different top end to a 76, as for the chain tensioner you should be able to access it from the back of the engine, on the 73 there is a little cap that you take off, then using a small flat bladed screwdriver turn it and it will loosen. Just make sure you take note of the timing of the cams, set the engine to TDC and count the number of links between the marks is a good way of ensuring you don't mess it up too much!

M1KE
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by M1KE » Sun May 25, 2008 10:55 pm

help me
Last edited by M1KE on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geeman88
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by geeman88 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:37 pm

cool thats really helpful man, i did find the cap on the back of the engine, i was actualy going to undo the bolts on the side, so lucky you said,

i was guna set it much like i did my car , so turn to TDC (is there a timing mark on the bottom end somewere?) i did notice the timing marks on the well actualy seemed to be two oposite each other but was going to take note when i took it off.

probily get round to doing it in a couple of weeks, hopefully tell you guys of my outcome...

andywilkins
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by andywilkins » Thu May 29, 2008 6:06 am

there should be timing marks on the flywheel and on the cam sprockets. as long as everything goes together as it came apart you shouldn't have a problem :D

geeman88
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by geeman88 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:50 am

always hate doing things for the first time...

oh i know its a stupid question. but is it actualy possible to take hte head off still in the frame. probily the first things i should have asked lol... and do i take the head off then carbs with it because it seems the only way possible to me

thanks guys.

joe 90
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by joe 90 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:46 pm

the engines gotta come out mate i tried leaving it in meself one time and it just wont happen
its not a big chore to get it out though