Camshaft journal holder bolts

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Riderz13
Settled in member
Reactions:
Camshaft journal holder bolts

Post by Riderz13 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:35 pm

Afternoon All,

can anyone help me with Bolts 5 and 6 numbered in the diagram?
reinstalling my cam journal holders and torquing them up to 12nm and 4 of them snapped. looking at the parts list they are different types (BOLT (6X39) and BOLT L:35) presuming they are both M6 but slightly different lengths? I couldn't see any difference? how many of the 5/6s are required and what is their correct placement?? the manual is not very helpful with this aspect. where is the best place to get replacements?

Thanks for your help in advance

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893
Re: Camshaft journal holder bolts

Post by MadMotoUK » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:19 pm

Longer bolts fit on the exhaust side of the cam looking at the picture, ie; the front of the engine.

Riderz13
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Riderz13 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:33 pm

yes that was my thinking.

But looking at an OEM parts seller page the requirements for quantities of each bolt are: 16 of the 6x39 but only 2 of the 6x35? so it doesnt seem logical that all inner journal bolts would be the same length?

Thinking about that the other logical move would be to have the other number 6 bolt on the inside of the corresponding journal holder, inlet side (I think its 'D' in the manual) as the other side bolts (number 4) need to incorporate the oil pipe? which would make sense if those bolt holes sit right near the highpoint of the combustion chamber, so you wouldn't want the holes 4mm deeper?

Probably just knackered old bolts that all need replacing 🤦‍♂️

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:57 am

Ah, only 2 shorter bolts. I would say that they are for the inner corners of the outer two journal clamps as you point out. The centre clamps are different. I would imagine it is to clear an oil gallery or suchlike. However, as I don't know the internals of this particular engine I can only use logic based on the diagram.

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:07 pm

the shorter black coloured bolts are for the journals without the oil pipe. You use the longer silver ones for the ones for the oil journal pipe.
It's 10nm, not 12. Prob why they snapped. 12nm is for honda's. :)

Riderz13
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Riderz13 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:32 pm

Ah thanks. So to your knowledge there’s no difference between bolts 5+6 on the parts diagram? It’s weird that you should say 10nm it defo says 12nm in the manual.

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:16 pm

All the 73a engines i've worked on have only had 2 different length bolts to my knowledge. The torque is 8-12 nm, and I deffo wouldn't use the higher torque on 30 year old bolts and crankcase/head threads.

Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76A 1993 and 1990

Post by Hubbskiboy » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:25 pm

There's not a massive difference between 10Nm and 12Mn in my experience.
For example, I've torqued a bolt up to 10Nm and then adjusted the torque wrench to 12Nm and quite often it 'clicks' straight away.
Maybe a very small amount of movement.
Don't forget that all torque ratings in the manuals are for a 'dry' thread i.e. no grease or oil.
If you're using a bit of assembly grease on the threads, then best aim for the lower levels of torque quoted.
I think that's all correct, but Mofo always knows best. ;-)

Riderz13
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Riderz13 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:57 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, will not be torquing up anything to the maximum spec now I can appreciate the age of the bike. just for the heads up I extracted the broken bolts today and there are definitely two shorter ones. they were two of the four that snapped so I obviously mixed those up with two of the others leading to four snapped.

now to find some replacements haha

As always thanks for the help! :)