Replacement Dynatek Coils for GK76a

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76A 1993 and 1990
Replacement Dynatek Coils for GK76a

Post by Hubbskiboy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:49 am

Hello all.
I'm looking at replacing the OEM coils on my GK76a for a Dynatek system to get a stronger spark / easier starting etc.
Space is obviously a problem on these bikes so I'll probably go with the 'miniature' system they offer.
Anyone on here had experience with these coils?
I can't work out the difference between the DC1-2 and the DC1-3 kits.
Both appear to be 3 Ohm which is correct?
Can I just drop these coils in and not replace anything else in the ignition system (apart from the leads and boots of course).
Thank you.
Hubbskiboy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynatek-Dyna ... Sw9GhYbS4h
Last edited by Hubbskiboy on Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893
Re: Replacement Dynatek Coils for GK76a

Post by MadMotoUK » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:05 pm

Have you considered fitting stick coils? You'll eliminate the entire HT lead then which gives you a much better spark.

mechannibalism
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by mechannibalism » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:15 pm

Stock coils are 3.2 R primary and 13K-18K secondary.....MadMotoUK tell us more about the stick coils, like wiring.

Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Hubbskiboy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:58 pm

I've received this reply to my query from Larry Nelson - Technical Support at Dynatek.

Hello.
Thank you for your interest in Dynatek performance electronics.
Your Suzuki would use the Dynatek DC1-2 Miniature series coil sets.
These should be a relatively easy installation and will also allow the reuse of the factory high tension leads and resister caps by cutting the factory leads off the OEM coils and attaching the appropriate boots and terminals included in the coil kits to the high tension leads.
All that is required is a proper terminal crimping tool designed for high tension lead terminals.
Should you not have access to such a tool, tame a look at the Dynatek CT-1 tool which incorporates a jaw specifically for these terminals.
Should you desire to replace the factory high tension leads, use our Dynatek DW-200 kit (1 needed per machine).
This wire kit will also allow the reinstallation of the factory well plug extensions for sealing of the spark plug wells and providing the required RFI noise suppression for the electronics used on the machine.
These items are all available from your local Dynatek distributor.
If you need any further assistance, please let us know.
Regards,
Larry

Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Hubbskiboy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:32 pm

Looks like there has been a previous post on this subject in 2015.
Some really useful information here.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=49060&p=392036#p392036

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:54 pm

mechannibalism wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:15 pm
Stock coils are 3.2 R primary and 13K-18K secondary.....MadMotoUK tell us more about the stick coils, like wiring.
I tend to use Denso stick coils taken from Yamaha engines. Assuming you have 2 coil packs on an IL4, generally you'd connect 1+4 and 2+3 in series (stick coils have lower impedence, normally either 1.2ohm or 1.5ohm) by customising the OEM sub loom from the bike they'd have been originally fitted to. The +ve and -ve wires from each pair would plug into the corresponding coil pack supply wires on your bike.You end up with a much cleaner and more reliable spark with less strain on the electrical system.

I've done this conversion on several bikes and it can be done on other engine formats, although I've not tried it on an engine fitted with individual coil packs. I do have a couple of spare stick coil sets and I'm looking to do this conversion on the 400, possibly also the 'Blade.