A2 restriction and model year

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
bluesmokeracer
Settled in member
Reactions:
A2 restriction and model year

Post by bluesmokeracer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:49 am

Hi

My son has just bought a GSXR400 - it is declared as a 1993 model, but registered 1996.

By my reckoning (and from what I can find on the internet), the 1993 models were restricted to 53 BHP due to a change in legislation in Japan.

Is there any way of checking from Frame or Engine number that the engine fitted is 1993 onwards? It's likely that it's been changed as the Gixxer is a former track bike.

Looking to get the A2 restrictor kit fitted - it only needs to 'lose' 6 BHP if a genuine 1993 model. Therefore, will the kit designed for a 1990-1992 impact it more than intended? Any body have any experience of this?

Thanks

BSR

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3
Re: A2 restriction and model year

Post by moforockband » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:34 am

There is a list of engine numbers and frame numbers on this site somewhere if you have a good look.
The later 53hp bikes use different ignition trigger and cdi, and also milder cams to get the bikes down to 53hp.
If it's a race bike, it probably will have the older parts fitted, ie 59hp. The restrictor kit is just a set of washers to restrict carb flow, so the output on both 53/59 engines will be very similar when the kit is fitted.

bluesmokeracer
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by bluesmokeracer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:30 pm

moforockband wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:34 am
There is a list of engine numbers and frame numbers on this site somewhere if you have a good look.
The later 53hp bikes use different ignition trigger and cdi, and also milder cams to get the bikes down to 53hp.
If it's a race bike, it probably will have the older parts fitted, ie 59hp. The restrictor kit is just a set of washers to restrict carb flow, so the output on both 53/59 engines will be very similar when the kit is fitted.
Thanks, that's helpful. I can't imagine that it's going to feel massively different to be fair, especially if it is a 53 BHP (although I suspect not!).

Bike is very responsive at present, but definitely runs a little wooly between 4,000 - 6,000 rpm then it all happens (as much as is does on a 400! I ride an R1!).

Like Yamahas of old, do Suzuki models have matching frame and engine numbers? This one doesn't and I'd bet money the engine isn't original.

Thanks

BSR

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:55 pm

Suzukis dont run matching numbers afaik, your engine prefix should be k709 ****** . These little 400's need perfect carbs, airbox, and exhaust, and maintenance to run sweetly, put it all back to as close to std if you're struggling with poor response.
They're more rewarding than an r1 if you can scream them down back lanes :D