Neutral light circuit

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
4hundread
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 91 GSXR 400
Neutral light circuit

Post by 4hundread » Sat May 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these on the aftermarket? Even better can someone explain it's purpose. I'm sure I'll be able to get on from the local suzuki shop if needs be. Image

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

ventYl
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSF 400 Bandit
Re: Neutral light circuit

Post by ventYl » Sun May 13, 2018 8:16 am

IIRC these are just two ordinary diodes. their purpose ist to "merge" signal (logical OR - at least one of input signals has to have battery voltage) from two outer * wires into center without each of outer signals affecting the other one. It's internal connection can be observed in circuit diagram. Theoretically you can use two off-the-shelf radioshack diodes having sufficient specs mounted on rigid plate so the whole won't fall apart because of vibrations. Specs would be something like voltage >15V and at least 200mA of forward current. Order of terminal connection matters.

Purpose of the unit is to allow to crank only if sidestand is folded (it's switch will close sidestand circuit) OR if neutral is shifted (this signal is taken from neutral light circuit). You need these two diodes because without them neutral light switch would be lit if you closed sidestand.

* - it is possible that physical connection is different than circuit diagram. Check it yourself.

4hundread
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by 4hundread » Sun May 13, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks for that, I printed off a wiring diagram last night and can see how it works now.

The neutral light had stopped working in the period of inactivity and I knew there were a few other crispy connections in the loom. I will order a new one and just solder it in I think.

So close to being back on the road, and then there's something else to do.

4hundread
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by 4hundread » Sun May 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Managed to cut the plastic plug off, clean the terminals up and tin them to solder on new cables anyway.

It will do as a workaround solution just now but I think a better loom is going to be my next move. As long as it will be reliable through the summer I'll live with it just now.Image

4hundread
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by 4hundread » Mon May 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Now have a functioning neutral light again, pointer was appreciated.