Finger adjustable Extended Fuel Screw Kit

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76A 1993 and 1990
Finger adjustable Extended Fuel Screw Kit

Post by Hubbskiboy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:42 pm

Anyone bought this 'Long boy' kit from Factorypro.com or had any experience with it?
It seems like a good idea to me instead of fumbling around with an upsidedown stubby screwdriver.
Would also make any fine tuning possible no matter where you are without any tools.
They do a kit for the GSF400 and a few other Suzuki's so I'm guessing that one of these will fit the GK76a?

http://www.factorypro.com

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3
Re: Finger adjustable Extended Fuel Screw Kit

Post by moforockband » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:52 am

I've never found that I had any issues with idle screws. Once I had replaced the o rings for fresh ones, and rebuilt the carbs (73a), you never need to touch them ever again. Mine are 2 turns out, and idles OK on pods.

Only reason I can see for them, is that if you ride up mountains all day long, and wish to achieve perfect idle at a cafe at the summit. :)

Or being more sensible, if you have chucked away the airbox, and are in a world of s***, trying to get the bike to idle, when you haven't a clue if you should be using std settings or not.

Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76A 1993 and 1990

Post by Hubbskiboy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi Mofo.
I guess it's just me wanting everything to be 100% perfect on the bike again. :roll: :grin:
I've got the valve clearances 'bob on' with my feeler gauges and the carb balancing likewise with my highly recommended Morgan Carbtune.
Now I just want the fuel screws to be bang on where they should be.
I've just been reading up on whether it's better for an engine in the long run to be running slightly lean or slightly rich and apparently neither is good! :?
This is quite a good article -
http://www.randakksblog.com/lean-vs-rich/
At the moment mine is idling as good as it always has but it's hanging ever so slightly when I blip the throttle.
So I'm guessing it's running a bit too lean?
Having a bank of four carbs doesn't help matters! ;)

ventYl
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSF 400 Bandit

Post by ventYl » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:19 pm

I use screwdriver bit and 6mm socket combined to drive fuel screws. You hae to find bit which will have the least slack in your screws. Then I throw towel over engine and tune screws. I've been doing this recently because my engine ran damn too lean. I don't think these are worth of the money if you are not doing pilot set up every time you use your bike - let's say you have a track bike and you feel urge to fiddle with pilots each track day. For time-to-time set-up above mentioned combo is sufficient and if your fingers are still too sensitive for heat you can buy "right-angled-screwdriver" - screwdriver for pilots for like 25 bucks online. This is more versatile as it can be used on other bikes too.

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:09 pm

This engine has a really heavy flywheel and genny, so it doesn't rev up and down like a race bike.
The pilot mixture screws - you just set them and leave them, if you're having to mess around with them it's because you have some other issue. Usually air leaks due to tired carb rubbers or because there is other associated problems with the carbs.
My bike has the worst set up for running smooth, and I never touch the idle screws. I have a 2" straight through exhaust and pods!
If it doesn't idle/rev nice (rare now, thank god) I know it's an air leak or a fouled plug.
If you want a fast pickup off the throttle, you need it slightly richer I've found. It also then makes great popping sounds on over-run also on the track :)
There's a fair bit of scope with the screws, just make sure there all turned out the same and have new 2.5mm id o rings.