Gk73a light wiring

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Lynchyboy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Gk73a light wiring

Post by Lynchyboy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi all,really after some help or advice regarding the wiring for the lights on my GK73a.

Previous owner has removed the original headlamps,clocks , fairings and replaced them with a single streetfightered style headlamp assembly which works but the brake light is constantly on...if I disconnect both brake light switches,it's still on!

When I check the supplies to both switches, both wires are live to the rear brake light switch and only 1 is live to the front switch....to make matters worse,previous owner has cut the original multi plugs off the original headlamp wiring and joined all the wires together so that it feeds the one headlamp now fitted.

Do the original clocks and idiot lights have to be fitted to complete a circuit as they are missing and just the multi plug is there on the main loom at the headstock.

As I don't have the original clocks,could I fit a set of GK76a clocks as they are visually the same but not sure on the wiring connector.

If possible,could someone point me in the direction of a wiring diagram as it's driving me mad

Many thanks

kit352
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: gk71f
Re: Gk73a light wiring

Post by kit352 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:20 pm

is it your actual brake light that's on or just the running light? have you checked to make sure you have a dual filament bulb in the back and not a single that fools you into thinking it's on all the time?

you should need the clocks or anything else to complete the circuit.

your going to need to do some investigating to find your problem. you need to find the source of the dual powered wires on the back brake before you can go any further. I bet they are just tied together at the source.

I would look for a new loom at any rate. nothing worse than a butchered harness. you will be fitting it for potentially years to come as you uncover new hacks . good used ones go for like £50 on eBay.

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:17 am

You might struggle with the wiring diagram, as it's in jap, and wiring colours not clear iirc. It's on granite rock web page.
You don't need anything connected, ie lights to make the system work. Your loom will have been soldered/bodged to fit the non original stuff.
I have a loom if you are stuck, but you could repair yours if you can get hold of replacement connectors, and willing to unwind all the bodges!

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:43 pm

Not too difficult to sort.

First check at the actual light, take the bulb out, disconnect the wires and check it's not shorted within the unit.

If its ok then you can rewire yourself by cutting into the brake positive supply at the light connection, take the spade connector out of the connector block then run a wire from this down to the switch and then back up to the connector block,

you know you have power to the light so everything will work.