Dynojet carb advice (GS not GSXR)

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
wurlyvalve
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a, TRX850, 955i, ZZR6D
Dynojet carb advice (GS not GSXR)

Post by wurlyvalve » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:04 pm

Hello all,

Fitted a dyno jet kit to my FiL's classic 4cyl GS. We fired her up the other week and she was woefully lean at idle. So I ordered some bigger pilot jets. I gave them to my FiL to fit. Alas, one of the carbs had a sloppy slot on the pilot jet. I was not present or aware that he was he replacing the jets. Before I knew it it was turned into an unslotted jet. Then it was turned into an unslotted jet with an easy out sheared down the middle of it.

Grrrr.

Ordered him another carb. Now my problem is that I have three working carbs with dynojet air correctors bonded in to the mouths and I will have one working carb without and a non-working carb with.

Dynojet - unless anyone here knows otherwise....?..... don't seem to sell individual air correctors (DC0302). I'm loathed to buy another DJ kit at £140. Do I get a lump of brass, drill the inside out to a similar id as the other three and bond it in? Do I BUTCHER the non-working carb to reveal a hopefully undamaged original brass DJ air corrector? Do I throw a ton of fire at it and hope that the glue gives up and the jet falls out?

Cheers, I know this isn't a grey bike but I'm not a member of any other bike forums of relevance,
Glen.

kit352
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: gk71f
Re: Dynojet carb advice (GS not GSXR)

Post by kit352 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:36 pm

I would go right for the dead carb. You cant possibly make it worse right?

wurlyvalve
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by wurlyvalve » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:43 pm

Thank you. It's very reassuring to hear another opinion. Even at my work (JLR) there are so few people I can talk carbs with :(

I think a hacksaw to the mouth section of the dead carb might reveal the DJ air corrector brass bit. Then maybe I can punch it out of the ally around it.

Cheers,
Glen.

kit352
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: gk71f

Post by kit352 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:54 pm

A dremel is usually my weapon of choice but to each his own. Do you know the bonding agent that is holding it in? You may find putting some acetone on it may soften it up enough for you to push it our easier.

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:44 pm

if its glued in then give it some heat, should work.

wurlyvalve
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by wurlyvalve » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:48 am

Flaming genius! Strip, clean, air, then throw lumps of fire at the mouth of the carb with the glued in air restrictor. Bound to fall with a couple blows of gravity. If it doesn't drop I'll hook out the hacksaw/die grinder/hammer etc.

Thank you muchly greatly. Feeling more confident now.

Glen.