Current Shindy Nissin 6 Piston 90mm Brake Calipers

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76A 1993 and 1990
Current Shindy Nissin 6 Piston 90mm Brake Calipers

Post by Hubbskiboy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:28 am

Hello all.
I'm thinking about treating my bike to a brand new set of Nissin 90mm calipers as a decent upgrade to the front braking system. There's currently a L and R caliper going on eBay for a silly amount. :shock:
Has anyone here made this upgrade? I know that it's possible, but I've also noted that the older versions of these were even more of a pig to bleed than the 4 pot versions! :(
The brand new gold 6 pots look unbelievably sexy. ;)
According to the official website, they will fit 280mm-320mm rotors, and ours are 300mm?
So no foreseeable probs there.
Let me know your thoughts on the matter.
Ta,
Hubbskiboy.

http://www.shindypro.com/brake_caliper.html

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3
Re: Current Shindy Nissin 6 Piston 90mm Brake Calipers

Post by moforockband » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:40 pm

My thoughts are boring! The GSxr400 has excellent brakes for the weight of the bike, they're well up for race use with the right pads and discs. They also importantly have excellent feel and progression.
I know sometimes when you go for the top end stuff, eg AP 6 pots and the like, you can end up with masses of power and NO progression, so excellent for locking the wheel up at 190mph, but totally useless for trail braking into the apex, especially if the ground's wet etc. In effect if you can end up with a bike that is less fun to ride, and harder to ride near the limit.

Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76A 1993 and 1990

Post by Hubbskiboy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:59 am

I only rode my latest GK76 purchase last year a couple of times before it got stored in the garage for winter, but I remember being a tad disappointed with the front brakes. :(
I don't weigh much more than the average Japanese dude, in case you were wondering! ;)
With dual front discs, twin pot calipers and a relatively light bike I was expecting them to be as sharp as a needle dipped in lemon juice.
I guess I'm just unavoidably comparing them with my 675 Daytona brakes, which are proper stoppers.
It is after all a purpose built track bike.
I need to ask the previous owner if the front pads are EBC sintered, but I'm pretty sure they are.

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:55 pm

You mean they have too much lever travel, as in disappointing?? The front brakes on my 73 are pure evil. I have a 750K1 (different ratio), bandit import 4 Tokicos, and fresh EBC HH pads with new SV650 disc. Even with a std std ratio master cylinder they were brilliant.
I can lock a sports tyre up at 100mph with this set-up :ugeek: lol.
Your 675 radials will have less flex, which will give them supreme power and feel. When mounted axially?? I would imagine there is more flex, reason why the whole world went radial.

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Never used the six pots but regularly read they can feel very wooden.