GK76 Rear Shock Setup

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76A 1993 and 1990
GK76 Rear Shock Setup

Post by Hubbskiboy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:04 am

OK, so I've splashed out and got my original rear shock with reservoir rebuilt and fitted with a new bladder courtesy of Brook Suspension (cost a shedload!) :o
The only problem is that I can't find anything on the net about how to set these shocks up correctly.
I know how to adjust the preload using the adjuster rings, but can someone tell me what the black dial (circled in the image below) at the base does exactly? :? :?
It's got the numbers 1,2,3,4 on it.
I weigh about 70kg's with all my gear on, so some advice as to what setting I should be using would be most appreciated.

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3
Re: GK76 Rear Shock Setup

Post by moforockband » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 am

That shock looks mint. That dial is the 4 way adjustable rebound speed. No 1 would give the fastest rebound speed, and no 4 would give the slowest (most) rebound. It will be easy to verify this when the shock is fitted.
As it's a Suzuki road shock I would imagine that all the settings are safe to use on the road, ie not too dramatic. You want to dial in enough rebound to not pogo you out of the seat after serious bump, but you definitely do not want too much, as this will make the back of the bike sit down, and weave from the rear.
Set it on 2, and go for a ride. You can bounce the rear of the bike in the garage to get a rough feeling of how the shock is rebounding. I like reasonably fast working suspension, as I do a fair bit of track work, and I find that keeps the tyre on the tarmac better for my style of riding.

Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Hubbskiboy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Wicked. :worthy:
Thanks moforockband.
Useful feedback and no messing around as usual.
I'll do some bouncing when it's all back together. :whistle:
I do like a clean tidy shock, so it was worth the money.

wullie3xv9
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76a GSXR400R & TZR250RS

Post by wullie3xv9 » Sat May 13, 2017 11:54 pm

LOL. How much was "a shed load", Hubbskiboy ...if you're not too embarressed about how much the rebuild/refurb cost.

Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Hubbskiboy » Sun May 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi Wullie,
I'm not embarrassed about the rebuild cost.
I would spend all my wages on the bike if I had too, because it's all I care about at the moment.
We all need a hobby don't we? ;)
Anyway, I've sold the Triumph Daytona, so I've got a few quid in my back pocket now.
The shock rebuild cost £260.00 all in.
Brooks did sting me on a new eservoir bladder that apparently 'had' to be replaced.
You just have to trust people in the end.
They also'lost' the push on black plastic cap that goes over the top of the screw on valve cap, which pissed me off a little.
I called them and they said it got damaged in the process, which is bull, because I took it off easy before I sent it.
I'm struggling to find a local fairing repair and respray shop at the moment.
The one I used last time - Arnolds Fairings - has closed down! :o

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Mon May 15, 2017 10:36 am

I'd imagine the reservoir bladder is very important in keeping the nitrogen charge in the shock, so well worth replacing. However I wouldn't let them off parts being lost. I'd be asking for compensation on the lost part esp after £260 shelled out.
They made a fair bit of profit there, so claw some back!