Firmer fork springs for non SP GK76's.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
wullie3xv9
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76a GSXR400R & TZR250RS
Firmer fork springs for non SP GK76's.

Post by wullie3xv9 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi folks. :grin: Been along time since I asked a question, so here goes.

Have any other GK76 owners fitted firmer front springs to their non SP, spring preload adjustable only forks?
If so, was it worth it? What make, type of spring, (progressive or linear), weight of oil & air gap did you end up at or did you stick to the spring makers recommendations? (I see Wilbers, Hagon & at least one other make stiffer front springs).

The reason I ask is that when I serviced the forks on mine the stock (progressive) springs were at the top end of their free length limit. But on rebuilding them with (Silkolene) 5 wt fork fluid & the air gap set to the stock 97 mm's I've concluded they're too soft for my 84 Kg carcase on the rough arsed country roads that abound in my neck o' the woods! :roll:

With the spring pre-load adjusters wound virtually fully in, ( one line showing above ) the static sag is at least 40 mm's, with it sinking around another 10 mm's when I sit on the bike ! :oops: As they are now, in general they soak up big bumps quite well at speed & I've never experienced any tank-slappers (so far) ... but .. when I hit large bumps if hard on the brakes there's a solid clunk as the forks bottom! Not good for my nerves! ( Or the forks! ?) :pray:

I've spent a chunk of today trawling through all 42 pages of threads in this section on this very subject to no avail. :(
Any usefull advice/recommendations gratefully received.

Wullie. :smile:

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3
Re: Firmer fork springs for non SP GK76's.

Post by moforockband » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:59 am

HI Wullie. I haven't got a 76a, but I recommend you phone KAIS or someone similar, and give them the specs of your springs. I have bought Ohlins linear springs in the past, and put them in bikes. Ohlins make tons of springs in different lengths etc.
If you are unsure of your spring rate, you can send a spring into them and they will measure it.
Only thing is I wouldn't go too hard, as you will have incorrect damping characteristics, and then you will need a revalve..

wullie3xv9
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76a GSXR400R & TZR250RS
Re: Firmer fork springs for non SP GK76's.

Post by wullie3xv9 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Thanks M. ;) :grin: