Changed my GK73A carburetors with 91`bandit (problem)

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
pokismot1
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Changed my GK73A carburetors with 91`bandit (problem)

Post by pokismot1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Variablevalves suck wrote:Have you changed all jets over?

I cannot remember if the pilot jets are the same, also the pilot air jet but they may be different .
And check that the throttle is fully closing, not the slides as these are opened by vacuum but the actual plates that are opened by the throttle cable.
Have not changed those, because I got some truble getting them out on my old carbs. But will try and change those next time i open the carbs.
moforockband wrote:I had a quick look.
32mm carbs use a 35 pilot jet - there is no data for pilot/main air jets (perhaps they are pressed in and un-replaceable?)_

33mm carbs use a 32.5 (leaner)pilot jet with a 1.2mm Pilot air jet. The main air jet is 0.6mm as std.

Due to the difficulty in removing the small jets in these carbs, I recommend enriching the mixture 1st. You have to use a perfect fitting flat blade screw driver to remove the jets or..... Get the drill out!
Yes, the pilot jets were already rounded in the hole when I got the bike, so always had some truble there. But will get them out and change them also.
Can I drill it til i get to the threads ?

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:10 am

I really don't think 32.5 to 35 pilot jets will make much difference. They are a bitch to drill out, don't drill or tap too far, it's easy to get the jet sitting too far into the carb.
I think from memory they as well as the air jets are m4 thread, so drill out to 3.5mm if you are feeling brave.
Check the rest of your bike, it may not be carb related?

pokismot1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by pokismot1 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:01 pm

moforockband wrote:I really don't think 32.5 to 35 pilot jets will make much difference. They are a bitch to drill out, don't drill or tap too far, it's easy to get the jet sitting too far into the carb.
I think from memory they as well as the air jets are m4 thread, so drill out to 3.5mm if you are feeling brave.
Check the rest of your bike, it may not be carb related?
Yes I see. Will see how stuck they are, will not brake the thing to get it out tho. And yes, know it's carb related 8-)

pokismot1
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by pokismot1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:27 am

Hello! After getting real close to throwing the whole bike, I got the gixxer running again and it sounds happy, no more stalling and no more weird noises when idling :peace:
Ended up changing all the insides I could, except the Jets; from the Bandit carbs to my original carbs. Also got some new orings. Gotta say, this has been the most irritating problem I've ever had! :twisted:

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:14 am

Good work. A common area for bad running/starting is the poxy little o rings around the mixture screws.

ventYl
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSF 400 Bandit

Post by ventYl » Thu May 04, 2017 8:06 pm

It is always worth of replacing *all* the O-rings inside these carbs once they are out of the bike. It is not that much work nor money and difference after thei swap will be usually big. Much bigger than any other mod / repair one can do.