Normal Running Direction?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76A 1993 and 1990
Normal Running Direction?

Post by Hubbskiboy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Can anyone tell me the normal running direction for a GK76A?
i.e. when I've got the right side clutch cover off and I'm looking straight at the flywheel, which way should it turn when running.
I'm asking because I want to keep the pistons from seizing over the winter and I want to put a few drops of oil in each cylinder and turn the engine over manually with a wrench.
Also, would it damage the engine if I turned it the wrong way for a quarter of a turn? :whistle:
I hope I haven't buggered it!
I'm guessing clockwise is the correct way, but would appreciate any feedback.
The manual isn't much help as all it states when checking the valve clearance is "rotate in the normal running direction".
That's useful isn't it!!!!!!!!!!

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3TJRRSP TRX850 XV750 cafe
Re: Normal Running Direction?

Post by dobbslc » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:04 am

Pretty sure from the right hand side it's clockwise. Put it in 3rd gear and turn the back wheel forwards watch the engine flywheel. Turning it backwards is a bad idea as the camchain can jump a tooth as it loosens off.
You're more likely to get trouble with the carbs, make sure you run them dry before laying it up.

Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76A 1993 and 1990
Re: Normal Running Direction?

Post by Hubbskiboy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:45 am

Hi dobbslc.
Thanks for the info.
It's going to have a top end rebuild anyway before I run it again next year, so the cam chain jumping a tooth shouldn't be a problem.
It turned fine when I was turning it over slowly clockwise with a socket wrench as you have confirmed.
I can't use the back wheel in 3rd gear method as it's pretty much the engine in the frame only at the moment.
No gear shifter lever, no rear wheel!! :(
If I need to check 100% the flywheel direction I'll take the clutch access 'bung' off my other GK76 and turn it over.
I'm surprised that there is absolutely zero info on the internet about this.