Running rough after running out of petrol

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
chutney
Settled in member
Reactions:
Running rough after running out of petrol

Post by chutney » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:01 pm

As the title says i didn't get to my reserve tap in time to save the bike from dying on the side of the road switched the tap to reserve waiting about a minute and she fired up rode about half a mile to the next petrol station and filled up, rode for another 10-15 miles and the bike in the mid range is misfiring/stuttering but high revs and tick over its fine, is it going to be carb related or plugs? Don't fancy having to take the carbs apart again only just last month had them rebuilt :roll: thanks in advance guys and gals

KiwiBiker
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '94 GSXR400, '14 CBR300
Re: Running rough after running out of petrol

Post by KiwiBiker » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:38 pm

Well its easier to clean/change the plugs first to eliminate that and then if its still running rough my guess would be you picked up a bit of crap from the bottom of the tank and have a partially blocked jet.

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3TJRRSP TRX850 XV750 cafe

Post by dobbslc » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:11 pm

Crap Tescos petrol?

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:54 am

KiwiBiker wrote:Well its easier to clean/change the plugs first to eliminate that and then if its still running rough my guess would be you picked up a bit of crap from the bottom of the tank and have a partially blocked jet.
I agree, the sock filter on the tank doesn't stop the finer bits of crap getting to the carbs. If a pilot is partially blocked, it will give the problems you have here.
I can't see it being plugs really...
I think when you switched to reserve you used the 'lower' sock and sucked the crap in. This will tend to happen if you hardly ever use reserve.

chutney
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by chutney » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:34 pm

Balls seems like I'll have to strip them then bought some carb cleaner ready anyway, I only run my bike on shell petrol unless I'm desperate texaco or bp are next in line

ventYl
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSF 400 Bandit

Post by ventYl » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:31 am

no matter what brand, nowadays petrol storability is 6 months from the date refinery produced it. due to transport delays practical span is 3 months since you've filled your tank.

chutney
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by chutney » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:23 pm

Was greeted with a stuck open slide on my left carb of your sat on the bike reseated it put it all back together and still running rough I'll check the plugs tomorrow and give it all another bash, also under the diaphragms for the slides was a lot of black sandy or sooty type deposits blasted that away with cleaner but no idea why that could be wasn't in there when I last stripped them

KiwiBiker
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '94 GSXR400, '14 CBR300

Post by KiwiBiker » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:12 am

I had a whole heap of that those black deposits inside when I pulled mine apart too. I believe its rubber from the constant flexing of the diaphragms and nothing to be concerned about.
Good luck with the tracing of your rough running.

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:24 am

I put a metal inline cleanable filter on my bike to stop the idle clogging thing. It is large though and a little tricky to find a home for it. (I have a gk73).
But it stopped mine clogging, and you can unscrew it and rinse it out with solvent every now and then, and re-install it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6mm-All-Metal ... SwyQtVs3jy

chutney
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by chutney » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:50 am

Thanks for all the info guys definitely investing in that metal filter. Put new plugs in and still lumpy as I don't know what not sure wether to borrow some gauges to see if the carbs are out of sync now