GSXR 400 SP '90

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Balogiannis
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSX-R 400 SP ,GSX-R 1000 K7
GSXR 400 SP '90

Post by Balogiannis » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:56 pm

I'm slowly starting to restore my babygixxer, it's going to be long procesure since I have two more bikes to take care of,anyway.

As I akready said in the title,the bike is a 1990 SP model. It's currently striped to the bare frame. For now,my goal is to have a rolling chassis so I can take the bike to a bike wash and get it properly cleaned.

So far I have identified the following issues:

1) Forks are bent,and since these are the adjustable ones,I can't find another set easily,so I will need to straighten them and hope it's done properly.

I've already bought new fork seals and good 7.5w fork oil,but I can't do anything until the forks are straight.
Here are the forks disssembled.

The frame sits ont he floor for now,until I change the bearings in the swingarm,rear linkage and at the steering head, because all where rusty. :down:

I have also removed the cylinder head and barrels and things aren't better there either.It has 2 bent vavles,one follower is broken and 1 cotter is missing,I removed the oil sump and I didn't find it in there,I hope it just flushed when I removed the oil.

So it seems I have a lot of work to do :(

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3
Re: GSXR 400 SP '90

Post by moforockband » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:43 pm

All Bike engineering will sell you a pair of stanchions for £200 odd, I wouldn't re-straighten old legs, because you'd have to re-chrome which costs a small fortune, and a long wait.
The valve retainer may be lodged in the head somewhere? Be careful when yopu re-build the engine, you need to check every single oil gallery/feed that it is clear, and no debris (especially the HP feed from the filter to the mains. I blew one up, by leaving a tiny bit of silicone behind once!
The transmission oil orifice gallery can easily block, leaving to oil starvation to the box.
Good luck with the build.