Alternative rear shock for GK76

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
KiwiBiker
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '94 GSXR400, '14 CBR300
Re: Alternative rear shock for GK76

Post by KiwiBiker » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:12 am

So I got myself a GSXR600 rear shock off member Nobbsie and then got it rebuilt over the winter by a reputable outfit.
I fitted it today after watching this You tube clip as a prelude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJAKou1B-qQ
In the clip he mentions a couple of mods you need to do due to the 6mm larger diameter of the 600 spring. Firstly you have to grind a couple of mm off the very top of the linkage cross piece (proper name??) as the outer edge of the bottom of the shock touches it at full extension. This is correct. He also says you have to space out the two dog bones with 12mm washers to give you a bit more clearance on the spriong. I didn't find this to be the case.
What he doesn't mention is the shock hitting the front cross member of the swing arm after about 2" of compression. Has anyone else done this mod and had the same issue?
I'm looking at attacking the front of the swingarm with a die grinder tomorrow to see if a couple of mm will sneak me through.
I've had a quiet ride tho and it feels good. Note the 600 shock is 6mm longer than the 400 one and this equated to a 17mm increase in ride height which is significant but should sharpen/quicken up my steering/turn in on the track.
Until I get the bike on the track and push it hard I wont know what I have gained but a road test hasn't shown any bad manners so far, just a nice controlled, firmer ride.