GK76A No Spark

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
shotti
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: gsxr 400
Re: GK76A No Spark

Post by shotti » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:35 pm

Test 2 wires coming out of the left handside today for resistance and got nothing, here are some pics to make sure im testing the right thing. Oh and the black wire seems to have 0.3v and the other has 0.6v :S so is it shot?

p.s do i need to remove the oil before removing this casing?

ben2306
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: gk76a

Post by ben2306 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:01 am

i know nothing about electric. ;)
hope somebody with knowledge help you out.

shotti
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by shotti » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:56 pm

is this coil broke? the first pic is positive to negative at 200ohms reading 4.0 the second is at 200k ohms positive on positive and negative on the ht lead reading nothing. thanks in advance :)

garage is more peacful at night so took the left side case off after noticing one of the wires coming out was bare. took some pics for you guys not really too sure whats under here really wish i had a manual :( so what is this stuff guys and what should i be checking? this sensor looks like its been hit how do i check its working? thankssssssssssssssssssssssssss :geek:

Last edited by shotti on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:05 pm

The coils should measure 3 or 3.5ohms but it would run ok at 4 ohms, the chances of both being bad is super slim.
The coils get 12v via one wire (tested) so ok and then are pulsed via the other wires, the fact neither coil is sparking will be due to no pulse.
The wires coming from the L/H case are from the trigger pickup and pulse the cdi that then sets advance and pulses the HT coils so having no resistance from the wires points to the pickup thats inside the L/H case.
The pickup should have a reading of around 100 ohms between the two wires, if no reading is measured take a closer look.

shotti
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by shotti » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:09 pm

Variablevalves suck wrote:The coils should measure 3 or 3.5ohms but it would run ok at 4 ohms, the chances of both being bad is super slim.
The coils get 12v via one wire (tested) so ok and then are pulsed via the other wires, the fact neither coil is sparking will be due to no pulse.
The wires coming from the L/H case are from the trigger pickup and pulse the cdi that then sets advance and pulses the HT coils so having no resistance from the wires points to the pickup thats inside the L/H case.
The pickup should have a reading of around 100 ohms between the two wires, if no reading is measured take a closer look.

booo you posted 1 min before i edited my above post took a closer look but im not too sure what to be looking for still a newbie
Last edited by shotti on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:13 pm

Yep, take a good look at the wires coming of of the pickup as they get brittle from heat and vib's and brake at the corner.
They are super rare and cost 90 quid from Suzi.

shotti
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by shotti » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:29 am

Variablevalves suck wrote:Yep, take a good look at the wires coming of of the pickup as they get brittle from heat and vib's and brake at the corner.
They are super rare and cost 90 quid from Suzi.
ok so i tested the reading from the previous break in the wire that has been repaired to the pin and got 1 ohm did the same with the wire next to it at the same got 1 ohm. these wires seem to have 0.6 and 0.3 volts cant remember which was which. The sensor actualy looks as if its been hit,its completely removed from the bike, when touching the 2 pins at the end of the wire i get infinate reading. The voltage at the end of the wires is the same as it as at the cdi 0.3 and 0.6. does this mean the wires are fine the sensor has had it?

vvs do you know if this the correct part number? 33110 10d00 i know the gk76a sucks for using the same parts over the years mine is a 93 rp oh and wouldnt happen to know where i can get a new gasket for that stator cover?

p.s thankyou

Last edited by shotti on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shotti
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by shotti » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:56 pm

hmm anyone know how i test the kickstand sensor is working correctly

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: R1x2 98/2k/Gp125/73a/76a/76a

Post by Andy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:54 pm

shotti wrote:hmm anyone know how i test the kickstand sensor is working correctly
Unplug the stand switch and connect the wires together(loom side/push together fit) and try the bike again. All this will do is disconnect the switch from the system hence isolating it if it`s a problem....

Regard`s
Andy :grin:

shotti
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by shotti » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:10 pm

thanks just tryd it still no spark :(