Lets try again!!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: R1x2 98/2k/Gp125/73a/76a/76a
Lets try again!!

Post by Andy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Sorting through my shed/workshop after the theft of my 73 to sell of bits and bobs i`ve started this `project` with what i`ve found;

List of components so far;76a 1990 frame/tank,Ohlins fg43 r/t forks,harris clip-ons,modded 4xv yokes and 73a cases.
Found lots of other interesting bits as well....going to polish everything on this one,i know its not to everyones taste etc(too 90`s right?) but the frame was quite heavily marked and i did`nt fancy a powder coat job. Swingarm next to make sure the chain etc line`s up correctly and get the cases milled to suit and fabricate the required spacers. More as it happen`s....
Andy :grin:

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Lets try again!!

Post by Andy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:07 am

Progress so far:

Tried two/three different swingarms and settled on an early 73a example with the same adjusters as the braced arm(spindle/spacer issues with the 76a arm). The obligatory k7 shock conversion by the usual methods except this time i`ve turned the top mount around to keep the ride height the same as standard and ease the fitting of the shock,any body who has done this conversion will know how close the clearances are especially at the bottom of the shock. Still got one small issue with the swingarm spindle it appears the 76a spindle is a little longer than the earlier 73a example so i`m on the lookout for one of those if anybody can help?
Engine:
The motor i`ve got in the frame is a spare i`ve put together out of bit`s and bat`s i had in my workshop,currently untested yet(not holding my breath but it will have to do until i`m rich again!) as i`m still working on the mount`s at the front of the motor(waiting for spacers etc to be machined) Need to put a laser line down the sprockets to convince myself all is good but from what i can see it look`s close if not spot on,we`ll see!!
Currently got a set of stainless d/p`s on at the minute but i have frame/pipe clearance issues at the mo due to the fact they are 73a and not 76a pipes. Not decided what to do about this problem at the minute but there is no rush i`ll finish the mounting first and make sure everything lines up. If i have to move the motor over it might just sort my pipe problems out......hey there is nothing wrong with a little wishful thinking :pray:
Running ram pipes and the factory kit i had for the other 73 i had(ran the airbox on the other in the end)

More as and when

timoth123
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by timoth123 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:20 am

Looking good mate! Likin those forks alot! keep us updated, I'm intrigued!

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Andy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Hey,
Long time since i`ve done anything to the bike but got the time recently so here`s what i`ve done over the last few weeks....

Changed my mind regarding the polished frame and powder coated it gloss black but stuck with some polishing though! K9 gixer rear shock with high/low speed damping...
Overall picture of the bike as it stand`s....
Front end as it stands, the yokes are early R1 but i`ve got a set of an 08 so they are going on as soon as i`ve got them polished/modded.
Picked up some(VERY)second hand carbs today and started work on them,before/after pictures....

Other thing`s i`ve collected recently are as follows; SP gearbox/cases, full motor of one of the members of here(cant remember who!),loads of bodywork(standard)not that i`m going to use it though. I`m going with R1 fibreglass at the front and Honda RS 250/mz race seat on the rear.

Other odd`s and sod`s are translogic dash and quick shifter,stick coils(gsxr 750) valtor-moto rear-sets/homemade risers.All cases on the motor are in the process of being polished including the crank cases/barrels,head will be gloss black.
Spec for the motor when complete will be(fund`s allowing!) 442,A1 performance head(not sure what spec yet,money will be the deciding factor),sp inlet(on the shelf),sp box,twin exit pipes of my design with standard downpipes to start. Wiring will be basic with running light`s/brake light only(too many blind twat`s on the road) and the charging system left in for ease of use.
Long way to go yet but i`m really enjoying it at the moment....

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:11 pm

How does the early 73a swingarm fit with the 76a 17" wheel, im after a swinger for a B4 ive got.

If you go 440CC contact me and i will help you do it on the cheap using FZR parts.

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Andy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:58 pm

Variablevalves suck wrote:How does the early 73a swingarm fit with the 76a 17" wheel, im after a swinger for a B4 ive got.

If you go 440CC contact me and i will help you do it on the cheap using FZR parts.
Hey Chris,
If memory serves me right there is only a difference in one spacer between the 73 and 76 on the sprocket side so use the 73 spacers and you`ll be fine mate....
Info on the FZR stuff would be much appreciated,will give me another option to consider. As usual i have lots of question`s regarding your conversion like compression for example.

Gash
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Gash » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:37 am

going to polish everything on this one,i know its not to everyones taste etc(too 90`s right?)
Not for me it isn't. That is the era the bike is from. I am going to be doing exactly the same with mine, the modern stuff is too over the top for me especially with all the tacky graphics.

Yes, nice forks. What are they off 'Ohlins fg43 r/t forks', or nothing in particular, just aftermarket Ohlins?

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Andy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:30 pm

Gash wrote:
going to polish everything on this one,i know its not to everyones taste etc(too 90`s right?)
Not for me it isn't. That is the era the bike is from. I am going to be doing exactly the same with mine, the modern stuff is too over the top for me especially with all the tacky graphics.

Yes, nice forks. What are they off 'Ohlins fg43 r/t forks', or nothing in particular, just aftermarket Ohlins?
The Ohlin`s are r/t off my R1 but i`m not using them now. Going with PDQ modded standard 98 leg`s(last pictures i posted)

Gash
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Gash » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:24 pm

You seem to have access to an unlimited amount of decent spares. You are doing a job on that motor as well! Are all the gaskets and parts you might need for the motor available for the 400? I thought a lot of the parts were non existent for the 400.

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Andy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:58 am

Gash wrote:You seem to have access to an unlimited amount of decent spares. You are doing a job on that motor as well! Are all the gaskets and parts you might need for the motor available for the 400? I thought a lot of the parts were non existent for the 400.
Not had any trouble getting gaskets etc(not cheap though!),or anything yet for that matter yet but i tend to buy any part`s/bike`s that come up at the right price. I dont part with anything bike wise if i can help it (R1/400),never know when i might need it.....