CV Carbs - Nightmare again !!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
diebythereaper
Settled in member
Reactions:
CV Carbs - Nightmare again !!

Post by diebythereaper » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi lads,
I was previously here with the same username but havent been here for 2 years and needed to re-register, please read my problem:

Ive a GK73A GSXR 400 whic I have owned for 9 years. It has never done anything but break my heart! I got carbs for it, cdi's, rectifiers. a new engine and hours and hours of work!

Ive left it parked in the corner of the shed for 2 years and decided to drag it out yesterday. When it was parked it was finally going perfect and I didn't want to part with it!! Before I parked it I removed the carbs from the engine and turned them upside down and drained all the fuel from them. I then placed them back on the bike and its been parked since.

Yesterday I buy a new battery and put fuel in the carbs, they start pissing fuel everywhere so I take them off and flog the float bowls with a hammer and put them back on. I get the bike to fire but it keeps flooding and the carbs are still pissing fuel all over the garage floor :(

So I take them off completely and sit them on the bench, i fill a powerade bottle with fuel and plumb it to the inlet of the carbs. Fuel starts overflowing out the pipe at the top of the carbs between 2 and 3 and also out the filters (dyno'd stage 3 set up). I open the butter flies and fuel pisses from all the needles in all 4 carbs.

I open the float bowls and the internals are spotless (as to be expected with no fuel left inside) but the float bowls seem to be able to be removed very easily.

My question is this: Is it possible that the O-Rings that seal around the plastic pipes of the float bowls that allow fuel in and out.... could they have shrunk in the 2 years and now are not sealing and this is why fuel is pissing everywhere??

They seemed not to be sealing to me ad could be easily removed, nearly fall out of position. Has anyone come across this before?? Can these O-Ring kits be purchased?? Is this my problem?? Im not an expert and have had my fill of these carbs, but they were a good set and very hard to get for a GK73A now, probably impossible.

Thanks,
Karol

M1KE
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: CV Carbs - Nightmare again !!

Post by M1KE » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:31 pm

New o rings can be purchased theyre on ebay variablevalvessuck sells them.

diebythereaper
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by diebythereaper » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi mate,
Thanks for replying!!

Are you sure you have the correct username??

If I copy and paste "variablevalvessuck" into ebay community I can't find him!

paul nc 24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2000 R1

Post by paul nc 24 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:21 pm

diebythereaper wrote:Hi mate,
Thanks for replying!!

Are you sure you have the correct username??

If I copy and paste "variablevalvessuck" into ebay community I can't find him!
send him a pm on here he is on most days an will get back to you to sort you out.

vivo
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by vivo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:57 pm

Def give him a pm on here, he's not got anything on ebay at the min.

His ebay profile is:
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/xboxxboxxboxxbox" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The kit he has put together is all viton orings. If the orings in your carbs are made of anything else this may be the problem.

diebythereaper
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by diebythereaper » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Thanks very much, ive just contacted him on ebay so hopefully he will get back to me soon!
I'll let ye know how I get on!

Karol