Future thoughts....

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Chalky
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Future thoughts....

Post by Chalky » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:07 am

Cheers guys.

Will come back for the written advice regarding fitting the K&N when I get it :D .

About the rear shock, I found this http://www.stoof.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; by Gavsta on here. I read through as much as I could without being caught skyving :twisted: and it's really quite interesting, goes through the whole proceedure of changing the shocks over. Which, again I'll being coming back for when I get the K6 shock.

I was looking to buy Nobby's titanium scorpion race can with link pipe, so there would be the after market can to go with the air filter :D . My bike has a bit of a grunt as it is, so I would like to know what it sounds like with the end can :twisted: .

One question about getting the carbs re-tuned, after fitting the K&N and the can. What is it they do to re-tune them? I would have thought that it would just be the mixture that needs to be adjusted (more fuel)?

Austyn
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Austyn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:26 pm

The K&N filter requires you to re-jet, if you add a race pipe to the mix you just need to get the carbs rejetted to suit. The K&N comes with 2 different sized inlet rubbers, one big and one small, even fitting the smaller inlet ring will require a carb re-jet.
The first thing you'll need to do is set up the float heights as per Tony Sleeps page (On here somewhere) then you're looking at some dyno time to get it set up properly. New mainjets WILL be needed, for ref the part no is N102221-(size) and they are readily available from companies like Allens in Notts.
Hopefully you won't need to change the pilot jets or Needle heights, if you do it starts getting complicated but the dyno operator should know his stuff.

Hope this helps. ;)

garynortheast
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by garynortheast » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:20 pm

Chalky wrote: Would it be easier to replace the front forks? Or do you want to keep the originals?
Yep, the idea is to keep the bike looking pretty much original but make some of the parts work a bit better. The front forks are not bad anyway, it's just that they are sprung and valved for a much lighter rider.

logan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by logan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:16 pm

garynortheast wrote:
Chalky wrote: Would it be easier to replace the front forks? Or do you want to keep the originals?
Yep, the idea is to keep the bike looking pretty much original but make some of the parts work a bit better. The front forks are not bad anyway, it's just that they are sprung and valved for a much lighter rider.

Hi - I've been keeping my eyes open for stuff that will fit my Mrs' GSXR-400 and I found a progressive spring kit for for £59.99 at busters accessories http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/home.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with new oil set to your weight the front end should be tranformed. Anyone know if RF900 rear shocks fit? Fella down the pub reckons it will - but he reckons allsorts.

timoth123
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by timoth123 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm

alot will fit! im sure you could fit into some of your mrs clothes, just because you can doesnt mean its right! id stick to some of the newer gsxr's if ya lookin for a shock, about the same weight as the 400's and good adjustability!

logan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by logan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:20 pm

timoth123 wrote:alot will fit! im sure you could fit into some of your mrs clothes, just because you can doesnt mean its right! id stick to some of the newer gsxr's if ya lookin for a shock, about the same weight as the 400's and good adjustability!

Too true! But there's not a GSXR shock gracing the back of my garrage and there is a RF900 shock there! Gixxer shock can wait till more money is around. Thanks for the info though

gsxr400 racer
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by gsxr400 racer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:31 pm

it fits fine raises the rear just a bit and needs to have some air let out to feel good well mine had 190+ in it think i was down to 90+ when it worked its best but got rid of it for a custom made penske shock

logan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by logan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Cheers very much - will slot it in over the weekend

ripzay
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by ripzay » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:31 pm

Hi all!

got me a bargain on ebay over the weekend

K6 GSX-R 600 rear shock off a bike that has done 2000 miles

£41

going on the 400 at the earliest opportunity (probably saturday)

will be following Gavsta's guide (at stoof.co.uk - so thanks in advance for that)

also got some new wider mirrors (the standard ones are far too narrow to be useful and as i'll be commuting on the bike i'd like to have usable mirrors)

Chalky
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Chalky » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:13 pm

That's a good bargain.

Did you get the mirrors off Ebay as well? Are they off a bigger sized GSXR or are they after market ones?