gsxr gk76a help

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
carmine76
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
gsxr gk76a help

Post by carmine76 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:43 am

hi ive bought this gk76a 1992 since i am now old enough to do my a2 and it really doesnt wanna start to the point im using all the battery
ive also got no spark
ive got a idea of what to check,
the battery is new
i dont think its the carbs since the plugs are getting wet
since im getting no spark would it have something to do with the cdi? or pick up coil?
if so what do i check on those (resistances,or if stuff is working)
it also has one of those m max boxes would that be the issue?
would buying a new cdi help as i have seen a daytona cdi progressor Derestrict Limiter
how would i find out if mine is a sp or sp II as its confusing

many thanks :)

dx4thesecond
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: gsxr gk76a help

Post by dx4thesecond » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:46 pm

Sorry to hear its giving you grief.

How old is the battery? Is it getting at least 12.4-12.6 volts? Might be worth using a car jump pack on it if you have to keep cranking it.

When you say there is no spark, are you taking a plug out connecting it to the plug lead and then earthing it on something?

How old is the fuel? If it smells like your mums nail varnish remover then the bike might not be happy about running on it.

Check the wiring to the coils. Probably some little spade connectors. Make sure they are tight.
Pretty sure the M-Max boxes just deal with the speed restrictions so I dont think theres anything to find there.

Check and clean any earths the bike has - eg look for any wires bolted to the frame.

Buying a new TCI/CDI might help but do all the free stuff first. I have never had an ignition box fail that I didnt water damage first! if all else fails and people like https://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/tci/tci.htm might be to help you out if Ebay doesnt.

Good hunting.