GK76a or GK76aSP??

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Jaicen
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76SP & ER6F
GK76a or GK76aSP??

Post by Jaicen » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:00 pm

Can anybody shed some light on how I would identify wether my bike is a normal production or an SP model?
I had assumed it was a standard model, however in my search for CDI info, I found that most CDI's have two plugs, whereas mine has the single large plug, as found on the SP.
This would seem to make sense, since i've always thought that first gear is quite tall (60mph @ 11500rpm or thereabouts) and the ratios are quite close.
Also, I once ran it off the speedo without it misfiring etc, which leads me to believe that it's not restricted at the top end. I was certainly well over 110mph/180kph without any difficulty, and it was still pulling when I ran out of bravery! :oops:

Does that suggest that my bike may be an SP? Is there any way to verify it with frame codes etc..?

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied
Re: GK76a or GK76aSP??

Post by Variablevalves suck » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi,
The SP has a sensor on the side of the carbs and has a 54 inche wheel base, the standard has no sensor and a 56.5 inch wheel base, also the 90 L model only had remote suspension on the SP but both had it from 91 onwards.

Jaicen
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76SP & ER6F

Post by Jaicen » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:58 pm

Had a quick look today, seems my bike is an SP model, which i'm pretty pleased with! There's 3 wires coming from something attached to the carbs and leading into the CDI, which i'm guessing is the TPS? I'll have to check the wheelbase, but coupled with the single plug CDI (which is now boxed up again!) i'm fairly sure it's an SP model. :P
EDIT: So, with that in mind, what exactly is the difference between the stock and the SP apart from the larger carbs and close ratio gearbox. For example, is it faster at the top end, or does it accelerate better etc... Anybody got any ideas? I can't seem to find any real info about it.

gixxerpaul
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by gixxerpaul » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:55 pm

its also got bigger main bearings too i got 1 aswell lol