Farewell

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
KiwiBiker
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '94 GSXR400, '14 CBR300
Farewell

Post by KiwiBiker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:01 am

Well the bike is gone so i thought I'd do one last post to mainly thank all you guys on here who helped me out over the last 18 months to get my GK76a sorted and out on track. I had a ball on the little beastie last season and managed to come second in the formula 3 class of the Southland Cup. Not so much because of podium finishes but more consistency. Only one other rider finished all 15 races as I did. That says something for the reliability of these little screamers considering the revs they are pulling.

In particular I would like to thank willandrip for his help in getting my carb issues sorted. It was a real learning curve fitting the Litek seal kit but it did the trick nicely. I never did find a thermostat of the right temperature that fitted so i just used duct tape over about a quarter of the radiator and it worked a treat.
I really recommend fitting the race tech springs up front and the K6/K7 GSXR600 rear shock conversion at the rear for improved handling.

I'd also like to thank wullie3xv9, Nobbsie, moforockband, 4hundread, and of course variablevalves suck for your input at different times, thanks guys.

One thing Ive enjoyed about this forum is the no bull shit approach. Someone has a problem, you help them if you can. No egos or grandstanding or bitchin and sniping at what the other guy said. Perfect.
All the best with your rides.
Al.

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3
Re: Farewell

Post by moforockband » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi Al, sad to see a 400 racer go. There's not many of us gixxer 4 boys left at the mo! I'm allergic to BS also lol.
Perhaps if you get 5, you can give us a real quick summary in this thread of what else you did to the bike, engine/induction wise. What tyres you ran, how you overcame certain problems. I'd be interested to read it! A couple of pics would be nice also.. Here's mine at Rockingham Image

I'd give a left bollock to live and race over in NZ. I like lamb also.

Take it easy! If you ever get the chance to buy your old bike back cheap, do it as they are 'really' rare in good nick, and you may, like me miss the insanity that comes from a 15000rpm nuts engine that has to be kept on the boil everywhere!

Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever

Post by Davez29 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:36 pm

Didnt know you but bighug

4hundread
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 91 GSXR 400

Post by 4hundread » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:53 am

P
Last edited by 4hundread on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

KiwiBiker
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '94 GSXR400, '14 CBR300

Post by KiwiBiker » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:26 am

I wanted to post a photo of my bike ages ago but (dont laugh) I'm really un-savey when it comes to computers and I couldnt work out how to do it! Open to a brief tutorial tho.

I really didnt touch my engine much other than sorting the carbs so it wasn't running overly rich and getting it running at a decent temperature by blanking off a portion of the radiator. The guy I bought it off had the valve clearances done so I didn't lift the lid on it. I was keen to keep it reliable and it payed off for me. It started well, idled well and went even better under full throttle!
I found I was hitting redline at the end of the main straight so I dropped two teeth on the back sprocket to give me some head room. I was hitting a genuine 195kph (120 MPH) before braking.

Handling wise I threw away the stock springs and fitted racetech springs with a rate of .80kg/mm. I did the seals at the same time and filled with 5W oil (for a fast action) retaining the standard air gap. Huge improvement, way less dive under braking and less pitching when changing line.
At the rear end I started fresh and tossed the whole shock rather than throw money at it. I did the GSXR600 rear shock conversion. Its not too involved apart from having to put 1.5mm washers behind both dog bones so they dont rub on the OD of the spring cos its a different diameter. Also because of that you have to grind a 3 or 4mm scallop out of the front of the swing arm cross member to stop the very bottom of the shock rubbing when compressed.

I pulled the brake calipers fully apart and cleaned everything up then fitted race grade sintered pads which helped but they were still so so. My next step was to fit braided lines and fit a new seal kit to the master cylinder. I didnt realise quite how bad they were until I bought the SV!

I was running Dunlop Sportmax D211's which I thought were pretty decent but have since switched to Metzeler Racetech RR's on the SV and I think these are a superior tyre. Very confidence inspiring, I was dragging my knee first session out on them.

Hmmm... thats about apart it apart from small stuff like fitting a keyless fuel cap etc etc.

Will try and keep you posted on how the coming season goes on the SV. I'm out to win the cup this year! :peace:

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:16 pm

Glad you enjoyed the bike and hope your next one is as good.

I don't get chance to get on here much nowadays but the regulars are top guys so help is never far away

Great little bike the Gixer and not commanding the premium of the other 4's so more smiles per pound.

wullie3xv9
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76a GSXR400R & TZR250RS

Post by wullie3xv9 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Quote Kiwibiker :- "I'd also like to thank wullie3xv9, Nobbsie, moforockband, 4hundread, and of course variablevalves suck for your input at different times, thanks guys.

Not sure if you'll see this, KB, but thanks for the thanks. Glad I could help as I don't regard myself as a GK76 expert just yet.
Good luck with your SV 650 racing venture. I managed to have an hours test ride on a half faired Mk 2 SV 650, which was a dealers test mule, a few years ago & thought it was great fun. From what I've read a good little bike can easily be turned into a great one. Have fun with it, mate. ;)

Wullie.

Nobbsie
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Nobbsie » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:43 pm

Oh mate! Sad to see ya go! Good luck with the coming season! And if you ever get 400 sick you can always have a go on mine!