Smoke from GSXR Ground Wire?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
xDonnellyK
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
Smoke from GSXR Ground Wire?

Post by xDonnellyK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:24 pm

Oh boy, how I sometimes wonder why I put so much effort into the little GSXR :pray: Little background on the GSXR wiring, it was screwed. I'm talking, hacked, chopped, burnt, shorted, you name it! So I did up my own loom just for engine running, later I'll do lights (Its not my first time wiring up a bike by the way). So this system worked flawlessly, until a few hours ago when for no reason at all my Ground wire from the battery started to smoke. So I was like hmm short circut somewhere, I checked it and everything was tight, hooked up solid as was before! So I flick my ignition to the 'ON' position and everything is still fine, then when I start to turn the bike over it begins to get hot on both the Positive and Ground wires. Checked my grounding, solenoid and starter motor connections, all are perfect! So I changed the Positive and Negative wires coming from the battery with slighty thicker ones, and the same thing happens! :? This thing has all new cables, all brand new connections and I double checked everything. As I said it was perfect up until now and I've wired bike the same way in the past with no problems. I will dig deeper into the situation but if anyone has any help or suggestions they would be much appreciated :peace:
Thanks,
Kieran

martinsamuel
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Smoke from GSXR Ground Wire?

Post by martinsamuel » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi Kieran,

So did this work previously(with your wiring changes)? Or since the wiring changes it doesn't work? If you want to post a little diagram of what you've wired where and the cable sizes used, i'll have a look at it if you want.

Have you connected things like the generator and regulator rectifier?

Martin