GSXR 400 GK76 SP REBUILD WITH PHOTOS

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3TJRRSP TRX850 XV750 cafe
Re: GSXR 400 GK76 SP REBUILD WITH PHOTOS

Post by dobbslc » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:40 pm

guitarman wrote:Having problems getting the bike running on all four cylinders. Number 1 runs cold and fouls the plug, but runs fine when given some throttle. Have I got carb problems and how do you set the tps?
That looks really nice, I had a blue and white sp years ago.
What did you use on the down pipes? They look sweet.
On the carbs you could have a stuck or leaky float valve letting in to much fuel check the fuel level, when you open the throttle it probably runs as it starts to get enough air to match the over fuelling.
Or the air pilot screw or drilling is blocked / not set right, these bikes are very sensitive to the pilot settings.
Try taking screw, seal, washer out and blowing up the hole, it might dislodge some crap and will save taking the carbs off again!

guitarman
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR400 GK76

Post by guitarman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:39 pm

dobbslc wrote:
guitarman wrote:Having problems getting the bike running on all four cylinders. Number 1 runs cold and fouls the plug, but runs fine when given some throttle. Have I got carb problems and how do you set the tps?
That looks really nice, I had a blue and white sp years ago.
What did you use on the down pipes? They look sweet.
On the carbs you could have a stuck or leaky float valve letting in to much fuel check the fuel level, when you open the throttle it probably runs as it starts to get enough air to match the over fuelling.
Or the air pilot screw or drilling is blocked / not set right, these bikes are very sensitive to the pilot settings.
Try taking screw, seal, washer out and blowing up the hole, it might dislodge some crap and will save taking the carbs off again!

The Paint was Holts Simoniz very high temperature paint, I got it from ebay.

guitarman
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by guitarman » Sat May 09, 2015 3:47 pm

Bike back together now, just needs a paint job and its done! :lol:

SevenThreeSeven
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SevenThreeSeven » Sat May 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Having problems getting the bike running on all four cylinders. Number 1 runs cold and fouls the plug, but runs fine when given some throttle. Have I got carb problems and how do you set the tps?
The Number 1 carb is the one with the TPS on it, right? It could be that you've got an air leak on that carb, from an unusual place, like the Throttle Shaft Seal. At engine startup and idle speeds this would make the cylinder run too lean (failing to reach a burnable air/fuel ratio) and thus failing to fire until you open the throttle a bit and get more fuel flowing into the cylinder.

I point to the Throttle Shaft Seal as a possible cause of an air leak because of the TPS. Lot's of monkeying around with the TPS, trying to get it to work, maybe messing up the shaft seal in the process?

guitarman
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by guitarman » Sun May 10, 2015 4:44 pm

SevenThreeSeven wrote:
Having problems getting the bike running on all four cylinders. Number 1 runs cold and fouls the plug, but runs fine when given some throttle. Have I got carb problems and how do you set the tps?
The Number 1 carb is the one with the TPS on it, right? It could be that you've got an air leak on that carb, from an unusual place, like the Throttle Shaft Seal. At engine startup and idle speeds this would make the cylinder run too lean (failing to reach a burnable air/fuel ratio) and thus failing to fire until you open the throttle a bit and get more fuel flowing into the cylinder.

I point to the Throttle Shaft Seal as a possible cause of an air leak because of the TPS. Lot's of monkeying around with the TPS, trying to get it to work, maybe messing up the shaft seal in the process?
I've balanced the carbs and they are a lot better, the problem now is a flat spot at 6000 rpm. Once you get through that it runs fine. Any thought's?

guitarman
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by guitarman » Tue May 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Bike is now painted and looks fantastic.

donk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Gk76a x2

Post by donk » Tue May 10, 2016 10:04 pm

Looks really good mate top job . Who painted it for you

guitarman
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by guitarman » Tue May 17, 2016 12:42 pm

donk wrote:Looks really good mate top job . Who painted it for you
A friend of mine got it painted for me.

tzrdan
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by tzrdan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:33 pm

Bike looks great, just wondering if you might sell the headers or know where I can find a set?

Hubbskiboy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76A 1993 and 1990

Post by Hubbskiboy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:49 pm

I thought I was being greedy having two of these, but you've got three!!
That's just taking the piss. :grin: