Crash Bobbins on ZZR400 N

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Arfa
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Yamaha FZ6
Crash Bobbins on ZZR400 N

Post by Arfa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:01 pm

So, my wife has just picked up a nice '93 ZZR400 E (with ram air). I'd like to put some crash bobbins on it, just to play it safe and protect the fairing. I've got some R&G ones designed for bike (ZZR600), however they suggest drilling through the belly pan and screwing into the engine mount behind. See photo below:

Seems a shame to drill the fairing, so was thinking about putting them into the frame through the hole already there for the centre grey band of fairing. Just above the bobbin shown in photo. This would attach them to the frame, so presumably still a strong location. Or am I going to get unstuck with bolt diameter? Am I going to need a much smaller bolt that just won't be strong enough?

Arfa
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Yamaha FZ6
Re: Crash Bobbins on ZZR400 N

Post by Arfa » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Well looks like I'm answering my own question...
Fairing bolts on further inspection were far too small, no way they would hold up against a drop. Also the ZZR specific bobbins are too long and wouldn't sit flush against the fairing here either.

So I did it as per R&G instructions and I drilled a couple of holes in my fairing and bolted them into engine mounts. Some pics and further details of the job on my blog here:

Fitting R&G Crash Bobbins on ZZR400 (or 600)