Exhaust for ZX4

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Benguin
Settled in member
Reactions:
Exhaust for ZX4

Post by Benguin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Hiya,

Got a grey import Kawasaki ZX4 recently. Seems mostly OK, but got a few issues, as you'd expect. It's supposed to be a 1988, but I have a suspicion its 1987, just first reg 88.

Frustrating problem is that the header pipes are shagged, lucky I live near a harley showroom so no-one round here thinks my bike is actually noisy. Can't find anyone anywhere who has ZX4 pipes, so I'm either on the route of bespoke pipes, or pushing a different set of pipes onto the bike.

Anyhoo. Someone told me ZXR400 pipes would fit, I've now been told that's not true.

Another more reliable source tells me I can use R6 header pipes and XZ gaskets, though I might have a little fun with fairings and/or radiator.

Anyone got any thoughts or experience that would help?

jim157
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
Bike owned: A few small ones
Re: Exhaust for ZX4

Post by jim157 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:33 pm

I've been led to believe that a ZXR exhaust will fit a ZX-4 (with a little modification) but not the other way around.
AUTOEXEC.TWAT

jim157
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:

Post by jim157 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:36 pm

Yep, according to this thread on the old forum the ZXR system will fit just fine:-

http://retro.400greybike.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51305
AUTOEXEC.TWAT

Benguin
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Benguin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:35 pm

Ah good find, amazing my googling hasn't got me here before. I should do that then, I've found places selling stainless zxr400 headers, just need to dream up an end can to buy ....

jim157
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:

Post by jim157 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:44 am

Put a wanted post in the classified section, you might be able to pick up a secondhand system for cheap. Either that or have a look on http://www.zxrworld.co.uk
AUTOEXEC.TWAT

Benguin
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Benguin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:32 pm

Ah, well it turns out these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38039-Kawasak ... 460c4b2525 are a stone's throw from my front door so I could just go and get them.

It's a choice between that or forking out more like £180 for a nice bling-bling stainless steel set. Either way, I guess I better order some copper gaskets. I suppose for now I can just bolt my existing end can back on.

Thanks!

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: R6, YZF600R

Post by thunderace » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:51 pm

If they are Delkevic, walk away. For some reason Delkevic cannot produce headers without causing massive restrictions in gas flow. I guess they prefer not to invest in proper gas porting equipment :roll:
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.

Benguin
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Benguin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:16 pm

The supposedly bling ones are delkevic yes, thanks for the tip.

The cheapo ones down the road just look like someone welded a few exhausts together, but fairly wide bore. I'm not sure how much it will affect me as I'm hardly a performance rider, but I think I'd be a bit annoyed at paying £180 for rubbish.

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3TJRRSP TRX850 XV750 cafe

Post by dobbslc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:20 pm

I'm pretty sure the zx4 engine is the same as the early zxr so the headers should fit it's just a matter of getting the rear mountings right.

I had one once, seemed quick and very comfortable.

Benguin
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Benguin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:35 pm

dobbslc wrote:I'm pretty sure the zx4 engine is the same as the early zxr so the headers should fit it's just a matter of getting the rear mountings right.

I had one once, seemed quick and very comfortable.
Yes, I picked up a frankenstein exhaust that had come from a broken zxr. It looks very close, certainly the headers are right. My only concern is the actual engine angle, but we will see.

Unfortunately I've got a snapped stud so the bike is up at a local shop to try and get that out, or redrill it. arse, feck.

Seems a quite quick and buzzy bike, I've not found the opportunity yet to snap through the gears at top revs, but it's been as quick as I've needed. I think someone has gone for odd cogs on it ... bogs a little in first, and seems low on revs in sixth, I can't see the front sprocket but I wouldn't be surprised if it has an extra tooth.

I'm really very pleasantly surprised by what a very old quirky 400 can do though.

Comfortable, can't agree with that! taken me about 6 weeks to get the flexibility in my knees so I can change to 2nd gear without standing up on the right peg! OK, so I'm old and fat ... bleurgh.