HELP cant find the restrictor

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
alan1986
Settled in member
Reactions:
HELP cant find the restrictor

Post by alan1986 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:59 pm

hi my bike came with a dyno printout of 31 bhp and the kid i bought it off said it was restricted because he past his test at 18.my mate said it does feel a bit sluggish we have taken the carbs off and no restricter in the inlet nothing in the carbs to restrict it and on the paddock stand (haven't got my full licence yet so cant take it out) revs freely to 14000 rpm well past 110mph on the speedo so its not the cdi where else do i look or would it be best to just get it on the dyno again to see what power its making now

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: R6, YZF600R
Re: HELP cant find the restrictor

Post by thunderace » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:10 pm

The only way of restricting the ZZR is with carb washers. If the clocks are still reading kph, then it is most probably still governed to the 114kph restriction. A healer (mph converter) will fix that. If there's no washers in between the carbs and the engine (in the rubbers) then 31BHP is all you're likely to get, I doubt anyone would have restricted the slides or the throttle, they are not the ideal way and do not guarantee output.

Depending on the model year, the factory fresh BHP could be anything from 48 to 62. Bear in mind that some of the horses will escape over time and a badly set up bike will also reduce horses.
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.

alan1986
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by alan1986 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:28 pm

thunderace wrote:The only way of restricting the ZZR is with carb washers. If the clocks are still reading kph, then it is most probably still governed to the 114kph restriction. A healer (mph converter) will fix that. If there's no washers in between the carbs and the engine (in the rubbers) then 31BHP is all you're likely to get, I doubt anyone would have restricted the slides or the throttle, they are not the ideal way and do not guarantee output.

Depending on the model year, the factory fresh BHP could be anything from 48 to 62. Bear in mind that some of the horses will escape over time and a badly set up bike will also reduce horses.
hi thanks for the quick reply the bike is a 1988 zx 400 and forgot to mention i have the before and after dyno one reads 54.16 before the restrictor and one reads 31.11.the kid said its still restricted but i cant find the restrictors anywhere so if there not in the intake do you think he has taken them out?

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: R6, YZF600R

Post by thunderace » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:50 pm

I'd say they've been removed and you have a badly set up bike.
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.

alan1986
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by alan1986 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:34 pm

thunderace wrote:I'd say they've been removed and you have a badly set up bike.
ok thanks haven't taken it out since we cleaned and balanced the carbs il get someone to take it for a blast tomorrow see if its any beter

CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:

Post by CRM » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:37 am

are the slides lifting all the way or are there plastic spacers in the carb tops ?
Insert Signature Here