2000 zxr400, General stuff, been sitting.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
viffer4
Settled in member
Reactions:
2000 zxr400, General stuff, been sitting.

Post by viffer4 » Sun May 17, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi Everyone, this forum is new to me as an NC35 owner!

A friend of mine has just picked up a 2000 zxr400 and its been sitting for a while, it had only done
9 miles since its last mot since he bought it! Hes asked me a few questions about it and unforunately for you guys
when i have questions i come here!

Right the 1st thing is, the brakes seem to rub a little on the front, and even stick a bit. the pads have loads of life
left so seems a shame to change them. Is it a caliper clean job? new fluid?

Secondly, the handling, in comparison to my rvf, felt like it had a flat tyre. pumped tyres up. seemed the same.
could this be suspension or is it just because its so different to the honda?

The bike screams like a bitch, again im comparing to my rvf. I've heard thats what the zxr4s are like? true? I felt like
it was revving much higher than the rev counter showed.
This lead me to try reving it in neutral, and when revved high, to the limiter even, the rev counter 'bounces' like hell.
Again, is this just the zxr for you?

When i 1st listened to it the engine it sounded dodgy. Like it had a rattle. Could this be something serious or are we talking
typical novice thats got used to a v4?

Its also been known to have the odd misfire, or even backfire. I would imagine new plugs would solve the misfire.

It needs a service in general, especially an oil change, and im sure carbs balencing etc wouldnt hurt.
Either way folks your advice and comments would be fantastic!
Many thanks!

w00dzy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Aprilia RSVR Mille
Re: 2000 zxr400, General stuff, been sitting.

Post by w00dzy » Sun May 17, 2009 11:02 pm

Welcome viffer.. I'm no expert but heres my two cents..

1. Not sure about that problem.. Ive got a cbr nc23 and my pads drag slightly all round, I assumed that this is normal for new pads? If they are sticking, perhaps cleaning the discs is required?

2. When testing the suspension while stationary does it appear to rebound ok?? Or when you sit on the bike does it just sag down and have no travel left? Perhaps the suspension is too soft?

3. Its meant to be a screamer! :grin:

4. Possibly fuel pump? could be something worse - but unlikely if it seems top run smooth.. any smoke out the back when warm?

5. Possibly in need of some tuning - carb setup maybe.. Check that the ht leads are on ok and that each of the pipes on the manifold heat up (be carefull obviously..) Has the bike got a standard can?

Good luck!

mutly
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by mutly » Thu May 21, 2009 9:38 pm

The rattling will be the clutch pull it in and see if it goes away.Nothing to worry bout.

viffer4
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by viffer4 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:19 pm

w00dzy and mutly great! thanks for you advice we'll give those things a try!
If anything comes up out of the ordinary il let you know for next time!
Many thanks

p.s. Blimy this forum aint half quieter than the v4 one!