Wont start run when warm?!?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
splinter696
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
Wont start run when warm?!?

Post by splinter696 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi All...

Just brought a 1990 zxr400, i cant wait to get her on the road (DAS starts next monday... yay!) But i seem to be having a few problems.

When i brought it, it had been sitting in a dark, dingy, spider-filled shed for about three years, managed to get her to limp home after jumping her off my van, it would cut out under about 3500 rpm, but ran sweet over 4k.

I assumed that this was due to dirty pilot jets, so stripped the carbs and gave them a clean, the pilots were not too bad, but the main jets had a little toad in. I have literaly just put the carbs back on, and fired her up, I let her idol for 15 mins, and although she was hunting slightly, she stayed ticking over. After 15 mins, she cut out, and hasnt ran for more than a couple of seconds since...

... i dont know what else to try!

The fuel pump, doesnt seem to click when you switch the ignition on, but as it runs fine over 4k, i assume it works.

Also, my main jets are 102, what is the standard mixture for these?

Any ideas/thoughts woyuld be greatfuly recieved...

techie
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Wont start run when warm?!?

Post by techie » Fri May 30, 2008 10:54 pm

Ok probably the next thing to check is the fuel filter for bloackages or rust in the tank getting in and blocking off the jets again. Fuel pump ONLY runs when the engine is turning over. Disconnect the feed to the carbs and direct it into a catch container and try to start the bike. Fuel should come out at a good rate. You may have even got an air lock in the fuel line, purging it by the method described to check the pump will work for that too!.

Main jet sizes are usually 95 to 105.

zimm
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: some ZXR400's, ty175, mz ts125

Post by zimm » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:17 pm

sounds like its running rich, my H1 was 4 turns out on the mixture when i got it and wouldnt start on the button at all once warmed up.. would start if bumped, but wouldnt idle.

ratbag56
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by ratbag56 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:36 pm

hav u checked the valve clearances this causes poor starting when cold? mite be that?