Engine head gasket?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
zxr400l3
Settled in member
Reactions:
Engine head gasket?

Post by zxr400l3 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:20 pm

in some sites i found that its better to use liquid gasket instead of the metal one, is it safe? what liquid gasket to use, or its not good idea ;)

jake
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Engine head gasket?

Post by jake » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:18 pm

sure you dont mean base gasket? you dont need them
i dont know really, but i would of thought it would be dodgy with regards to compression and getting the head sat flat..

zxr400l3
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by zxr400l3 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:23 pm

what i read about that is that when you remove the head gasket you increase the compression because the head gasket is 0,5mm and ... you save that ... i am not sure thats why i am asking here ... what to do, to buy normal head gasket and to skim the head 0,3mm or 0.4mm or to put liquid ... i am not 100% sure, but i think i read this in some racers site ... and another trick i read there was to put ram air with some kind fine mesh ... instead of air filter ... ;) need help soon cause i am thinking to finish my engine soon ;)

jake
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by jake » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:06 pm

i dont think ive ever heard of someone using a liquid gasket instead of a head gasket. I certainly would'nt risk it in my engines.
as for ramair, you dont use a airfilter. fine mesh is all. Would'nt use ramair on the road

mrdidlydingo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29, 30, 35, RDLC, GSXR

Post by mrdidlydingo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:05 pm

I'm thinking your mixed up with the base gasket not a good Idea to use a liquid head gasket but the base gasket is sometimes removed and the barrels seated on liquid gasket to raise compression - does anyone know if this is actually worthwhile doing prior to me bolting my new motor back together ?

zimm
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: some ZXR400's, ty175, mz ts125

Post by zimm » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:22 pm

mrdidlydingo wrote:I'm thinking your mixed up with the base gasket not a good Idea to use a liquid head gasket but the base gasket is sometimes removed and the barrels seated on liquid gasket to raise compression - does anyone know if this is actually worthwhile doing prior to me bolting my new motor back together ?
depends on what spec the rest of the engine is, if its stock then go for it, it's how mine always get built.

if the head has been skimmed or its got different pistons, you might want to do some measuring.. removing the base gasket tightens the squish clearance by .2mm (less the thickness of the sealant, so .. thats .. err .. 0.18mm ?) and you're aiming for a clearance of .6mm on a zxr, maybe a tad wider if you're running much over 15,000 rpm.

my race bike's got a lightly skimmed head (about .15mm off) stock pistons, sp cams, base gasket removed, squish measures .65mm and its running to 15,500rpm with no problems.