Zxr 400 / zzr600 conversion.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Purpletoddy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Zxr 400 / zzr600 conversion.

Post by Purpletoddy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Another 600 conversion story from my garage.

I kinda regretted selling the Fzr600rrsp conversion I did a while back, I never actually got it finished to the point where it was road or track ready so this one will be used by myself or at least that's the plan.

So I bought a load of zxr 400 spares a few weeks ago with 2frames one with v5, rolling chassis, track Fairngs etc and an engine in bits.

I didn't want to spend a fortune building another 400 engine as I already have one.

I looked at various engines to fit into the chassis and I found a mate had a full zzr600 engine sitting with running gear removed from a crashed bike with mega low miles. Few notes changed hands at cadwell and I'm on with the project now.

Frame mounts all chopped off apart from the front mounts.

Jig made up for engine so I can level the engine and adjust it to the correct height and angle relative to the frame copying the layout of the 400 engine best I can with regards to sprocket location relative to the Swingarm and various other points of reference.

I had to cut a bit of the upper mount on the engine away nothing drastic but only way to mount it.

Made some new rear upper and lower mounts and these are now welded in.

Need to think about the front mounts as the zzr is rubber damped at the front

I'll L load some pics later as Photobucket ain't working now as you have to pay for it ???

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO
Re: Zxr 400 / zzr600 conversion.

Post by Drunkn Munky » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:42 pm

Following

Purpletoddy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Purpletoddy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:42 am

With photobucket being greedy nowadays its crap not being able to post pics to explain the progress.

The engine is in the frame now.

Both rear mounts are welded up and new bolts fitted. front mounts im going to make out of mild steel and retina the rubber shockmount on the front of the zzr 600 engine. I have a design in mind and have stated cutting and welding now.

I have fitted new headstock bearings and now have the bike to a rolling chassis, checked the chain alignment via laser and its spot on so all good in that department.

Exhaust trial fitted and its not a million miles away so should pose to much of an issue.

Carbs.....well that is another hurdle but I can sort it. Basically they are too wide to fit inside the frame rails so out with the drill and chain drilled a section out of both inner rails which will be boxed in and welded over the next few weeks.

So there is progress but no pictures....

If anyone has a way of uploading pics im all ears but I did try Flickr but gave up on it

if anyone is interested drop me a PM and ill send over phone number and send pics over whatsapp.

icklepob
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by icklepob » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:30 pm

The frz is a peach too,I'd have regretted selling it too. The new project sounds fun and involving.

Are you at Anglesey on the 8th Sept with Ian ?

You can have a go on the yam if you are. Suspension is away at the minute getting fettled so should be much better

Paul

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Purpletoddy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Purpletoddy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:01 am

icklepob wrote:The frz is a peach too,I'd have regretted selling it too. The new project sounds fun and involving.

Are you at Anglesey on the 8th Sept with Ian ?

You can have a go on the yam if you are. Suspension is away at the minute getting fettled so should be much better

Paul

Hi Paul,

I know Ian is doing the plop enduro thing and also the classic tt so not sure if he is doing the anglesey one nor am I at the minute. I am planning on another trip to cadwell in Oct on the zxr400.

The FZR is looking good and the mods along the way will make it a great tool.

This conversion is a lot more involved ....will it be worth it ? time will tell it keeps me from watching her crap tele so im happy enough

icklepob
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by icklepob » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:41 am

Ah. I can't do plop this time, but am off to the manx for the second week.

Purpletoddy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Purpletoddy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:02 pm

I need to send you lot some pictures of the progress but ive been lazy.

I have the bike running now and the loom into the positions where it needs to sit took a bit of cutting and soldering but nothing too tasking.

Front mounts are done as is the exhaust

Clocks are hideous so I need to think about what im doing there, it may be better to fit a koso dash or the likes.

I have fitted a gsxr 600 k3 rear shock which will probably be too harsh even with the 600 motor in the frame.

Im getting there but the next hurdle will be carburation as I cant fit the airbox under the tank so open carbs / pod filters is the route I need to go down.

Im still plugging away at it for sure :grin:

icklepob
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by icklepob » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:11 pm

You don't make it easy for yourself

Purpletoddy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Purpletoddy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Well. Wee update.

I’ve sold my Zxr400 track bike, I don’t know why just seemed like a good idea at the time and now thinking why the hell did I do that. Anyway I have plodded on with the 600 conversion

Crap pic and I will add more over weekend

It’s running off the key, needs carbs jetted or sorted to run with no air box.

The radiator and plumbing was an absolute nightmare.

Ended up using a Gen 2 rsvr rad and modifiying it to suit the zzr600 system.

Gsxr 600 rear shock fitted which will no doubt need re sprung to suit the bike

I have a zx10r front end sitting which I may fit but kinda like the Zxr400 look.

Time will tell.

Purpletoddy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Purpletoddy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:00 pm

New rear upper mount welded in

Engine sat in frame trying to get it all to sit right a good few months ago.

Inner frame rails cut to fit carbs. This has now been boxed in