ZZR400k 1990

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Copernicus
Settled in member
Reactions:
ZZR400k 1990

Post by Copernicus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Howdy people.
Already introduced myself in the relevant section.
Just picked up the subject bike. Starts good, engine sounds sweet. I got it at a very good price......why?....because it has a problem. When in gear and riding there is a clatter by the drive. That's what I was told initially. Worst scenario? a fault in the box and needing engine strip down and cases apart. Not a problem, I'm well capable of doing it, done it many times before. I'm hoping it aint that, but it's been factored in. So I'm going to run this thread on what happened next? It may be of use to some in the future. Feel free to comment, and I'll add pics when I get an image hoster.
Even if I say, "f*ck it, I'll part it", that's ok, I won't be losing money. I've got the bike in my workshop, plastics removed, along with tank, seat, clocks. Drained the black oil, checked out the clutch. Rear caliper is practically seized, so removed it. Clutch seems ok, and someone had been there before. The front sprocket is the original, (bike's done 20k miles), and is rusty & worn. I'm going to run the bike, (with new oil!), and get the rear working. The bike is raised enough for the wheel to clear the floor. I'll run it in first to hear the sound, and I'll video it and put it on utube. Then I'll remove the chain, and run it again. See if there's a difference.....plus I'll know the "clatter" sound.

Copernicus
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: ZZR400k 1990

Post by Copernicus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:44 pm

sorry

Copernicus
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Copernicus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:52 pm

No utube vid needed. I removed c & s's. Put some fresh oil & petrol in her. Started her up. Put her through the gears,...and not 1 abnormal sound! front sprocket worn, not meeting correctly with chain rollers, and I think it was not in correct alignment. Got a clunking sound every rotation of the rear wheel by hand. I know the box was not under pressure with no wheel to turn, but if it had a fault causing a clatter sound it should have shown up, rear wheel on or not. Chain was rusty, front sprocket rusty & worn, rear sprocket ok. Time to get a new c&s's. 200 notes, but beats an engine/box rebuild. :grin:

jim157
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
Bike owned: A few small ones

Post by jim157 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Good stuff!
AUTOEXEC.TWAT

Copernicus
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Copernicus » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:58 pm

jim157 wrote:Good stuff!
Cheers :grin:

Copernicus
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Copernicus » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Here's the bike. Can't get on with those image hosters and their size limits. Here's the link to my fb page with the bike.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater