Italian ZXR - Forks issue

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
terrem
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by terrem » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:47 am

Here another big language challege for the bravest users of 400greybike.

My right fork has a misterious issue. The small plug on the top of the forks
...(for comprehension: on that plug there is the screw wich is used to regulate the oil flux in order to return the forks faster or slower from compression, and there is a small e-ring on the external)..
..that plug isnt 3-4 mm outer the lower plane (like the other forks). It is fully into the lower hexagon, so you cant extract the ering.

Under the plug there is the hexagon you turn for regulate the precharge of the spring and more under the heaxgon you turn for open the fork.

Another question: the hexagon you rotate for the spring: clockwise to harden and anticlockwise to softener?

All of this because my forks have autonomally becomed this those two months rocky hard.

DocV400
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1200 Bandit ~ NC30 ~ Italjet

Post by DocV400 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:03 pm

If you turn the Spring pre-load part (precharge as you called it) Clockwise, it moves downwards, and the Retainer Ring/Circlip will be uncovered.

Are you wanting to strip the Forks completely, or just replace the Oil?
You don't need to remove the Ring/Circlip to change the Oil, you can just undo the main Cap (the largest Hex).
A Pessimist is just an Optimist, with experience.
Doc out . . .

terrem
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Italian ZXR - Forks issue

Post by terrem » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:57 pm

i've turned it anticlockwise in order to soft the spring but the forks remain rock hard.
And the thing that i cant understand is that the other forks had the pre load setted at the same level (assuming that from the circular markers on the hexagon wichincrease or decrease as i turn the hexagon) but has those nipple showed up.
So, if the level of pre load is the same, why the plug in one fork is exposed and in the another is covered?

I''ve dismouted the right fork (retainer ring covered) because i've changed the oil and dust seal becuase the fork had a leak.
The oil was changed in both however.

DocV400
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by DocV400 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:10 pm

Is it possible you've put something in the wrong place when re-building the leg?
What oil level did you set it at, how much oil did you put in?
The top of the damper rod has a long thread on it, was that screwed all the way into the top section (the section with the circlip on)?
The lock-nut for it fits one way only, there is a recess in the thread at one end.
Doc out . . .

terrem
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by terrem » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:50 am

i've dismounted yesterday the fork.
It's seemed that the inner thin tube had in unknown way screwed out and that pressed the pin that you regulate from the top screw too low deeply, so my fork had oil resistance not only in rebound but also in compression.
I've had dismounted the fork cap and checked all. Now the cap is mounted and the fork are more softer. The only issue is that now the screw for rebound has no 12 clicks but like 30 or more. So at the first 10 the screw is fully exposed but if you screw it more it will sink down the cap until it reach is minimum level (about 30+ clicks clockwise and 9-10 mm from the starting position :roll: :roll: ).

Those forks are diabolic for dismounting so im searching a good setup and then i will only put the oil inside them.
Ah, i've putted 425 ml as the manual said.

DocV400
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by DocV400 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:39 pm

If the damping adjuster is screwing down too far, it sounds like the section it fits in is still not in the correct position.
The lock-nut (92015) for it has to go the correct way round.
It has threads in one half only, the section without threads has to be facing down, so the nut goes partly over the un-threaded section of the damper rod.
The threaded end of the nut has a flat machined face, where it fits against the Alloy housing section, with sharp edges on the flats. The un-threaded end is slightly rounded on the edges, so you should be able to check it without dismantling it again.
If it's fitted the other way round, the section that holds the adjuster will be sitting too high, and the adjuster will have more travel, as you're finding.
Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doc out . . .

terrem
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by terrem » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:03 am

oh god, maybe when i rebuild the fork i've done this error and i've put upside-down the 92015 nut. So all the quotes are in error. Now i'll open the fork and throught the holes on the 92143 check the nut. bighug

DocV400
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by DocV400 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:25 pm

That's right, you should be able to see it through the spring spacer tube (or whatever it's called) 92143.
If not, you should be able to pull the tube down (compressing the spring) far enough to see it.
Doc out . . .

terrem
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by terrem » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:41 am

i've to say a big thank you to the users of this forum.
Here in italy those 400cc bikes are pretty rare and very snubbed because of their small displacement.
Average italian motorbikers prefers bigger bikes and often consider more racing a CBR 600 F than a zxr 400 because "it's a 600".

DocV400
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by DocV400 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:15 am

Just get them off the main roads, and onto some of the stunning little Mountain roads you have though, and they'll see just what a 'little' Bike is capable of ;)
Doc out . . .