zxr 400 cam chain o ring

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
galaxy
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
zxr 400 cam chain o ring

Post by galaxy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:04 am

Hi just looking for some help with my bike. Where my cam chain tensioner bolts onto the engine there is a small leak of oil, i have had a look and it looks like the leak is where the o ring sits inbetween the engine and the tensioner. I bought a o ring to replace it myself but not sure if i should attempt this myself as i dont want to damage the tensioner, throw out the cam timing or stretch/loosen the cam chain.

If anyone could explain exactly how to reset a zxr 400 cam chain i would be very grateful
the tensioner has one big bolt and 2 smaller bolts and its a L9 model so i think its the new style tensioner ?

Thanks

fstarocka
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: zxr 400 cam chain o ring

Post by fstarocka » Sat May 07, 2016 7:10 am

I just redid mine for the 3rd time because the previous owner mucked up the head and i had 3 head gasket jobs in a row(!!)

anyway -

its super easy.. 5 mins..

Now undo the little 6mm nut facing away from bike (on tensioner - its easier while tensioner is on the bike)
Not sure if oil will pour out there if on kickstand - undo the clutch cable (it will get in the way)
the tensioner might pop out a bit from its tension - the tensioner pin will (shd) stay in place from the cam chain..
Swap the oring

Install: (make sure cluth bracket is in right position
Depress the tensioner in ALL THE WAY - i found it easier to do holding the tensioner and pressing the pin into a wooden bench/plank -

once its FULLY depressed - u will be able to poke a wire thru the 6mm hole into the actual pin to keep it in place - I struggled to find something thin enough and ended up using a think needle from my testlight tip..

Reinsert the tensioner (put some oil on new oring)
Tighten BOTH nuts (with clutch bracket)..

Now pull out the wire/needle holding the tensioner - it should pop.

Dont forget the 6mm nut (and its little oring) where the needle went in.

Re connect clutch cable.

If the tensioner pops out before you have fully tightened the 2 nuts u HAVE to start over..

fstarocka
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: zxr 400 cam chain o ring

Post by fstarocka » Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

oh - i wanted to add - if that doesnt solve ur oil issue.. might be the little oring in the 6mm nut.. or the rubber grommet that holds the pickup - manual says to silicone across it when installing the cover -

so u might have to do remove right cover / silicone (RTV) and pop it back on..

can u perhaps confirm whether the pilot jets on these are drilled straight through? cleaned mine but not sure - bike idling very bad!