GPZ400S Idle Issue - Any ideas?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: R6, YZF600R
GPZ400S Idle Issue - Any ideas?

Post by thunderace » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Finally got it running this morning. Problem is it ticks over at 6k :o

I've eliminated any air leaks, carb rubbers are fine, throttle and choke levers work as they should, butterflies are virtually shut, pilot screws are 2 turns out as per manual.

So, have I got a gremiln hiding in there somewhere? Or am I missing something?
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.

hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: GPZ400S Idle Issue - Any ideas?

Post by hunter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Have you checked the diaphragm's.

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by thunderace » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Aye, they're like new. Must admit I'm fairly stumped. Although I did come across a couple of suggestions on the web.

I'm going to check tomorrow that the butterflies are on the right way round as they don't seem to close quite properly and I'm going to double check the throttle linkage.
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding your limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.

Jizzmeister
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR 400 1986 ZXR 400 1992, CBR

Post by Jizzmeister » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:02 pm

I seem to have a similar problem with my ZXR 400 L2, idling around the 3k mark as soon as its been running or a minute or 2.

On my FZR 400 it was the carb rubbers that we causing the problem but these ones appear to be fine :?

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by thunderace » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Well I picked up a fully refurbished pair of carbs and fitted them today. Got the bike running again but it's still idling at around 6k and not dropping. I can't find any air leaks so I'm pretty stumped :?: :?: :?: :?:

thunderace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by thunderace » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:57 pm

A bit of fiddling and re-seating and I've got it down to about 1900rpm. Still a tad fast but it'll do for now :grin: