HELP please!! carb/fuel issue

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Rover220
Settled in member
Reactions:
HELP please!! carb/fuel issue

Post by Rover220 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:01 pm

hi guys.

have had the carbs off and completely drained/cleaned etcetc. have refitted today with new fuel filter (bigger than oe one...is that a problem?)

i dont seem to be getting much fuel into the filter, when cranking i get the odd burst and the filter fills some of the way then dissappears. i guess this means the carb bowls are filling slowly?? how long/how much cranking is required to get th system full/ primed???

any tips appreciated.

ta

NoelB
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: HELP please!! carb/fuel issue

Post by NoelB » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:41 pm

Are you happy that the fuel pump is working properly - its worth checking that it is with a jumper wire, careful not to start a fire though........ Depending on its exact orientation the filter may never fill completely, there may alway be a good bit of air in there. Generally though, I can see the pulses of the pump within a second or two. I've had that much fuel grief over the years from my ZXR race bike that I have transparent lines where ever possible to help diagnose problems. Its worth knowing that there are also small filters at the inet to each of the individual carbs - you remove the hinge pin for the float and pull out the housing for the needle valve and theres a wee gauze there that pokes into the fuel gallery that runs across all the carbs. If your new filter doesn't sort your problems then try there.

Cheers
Noel B.

ratbag56
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by ratbag56 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:26 pm

i had problems with my fuel pump check the connector to the fuel pump rely, (the plug is red and sits on a rubber mount next to the battery) i also found the the pump pulses and feels the carbs up only when the need to be filled and is controlled by the cdi and ignition, does the bike run poor?

Rover220
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Rover220 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:41 pm

all sorted now guys, just needed more cranking to fill the bowls as i assuemd.

cheers though, much appreciated.