No key - remove ignition

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Swedie
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
No key - remove ignition

Post by Swedie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:28 am

Hello! I know this is my first post and it might sound suspicious.

Me and my girlfriend are on a track event vacation and she took the wrong key with her for her ZXR 400 bike.

I wonder if someone here please can help me out and point to which cables on the ignition wire loom that I should hook up to what.

I can do the job, I just don't know what connects to what and I rather not make a mess of it all. I can take a guess that 5 of the wires should hook up to eachother and the red cable (plus to battery) should be the decider if the bike turns on. I've bought a switch already to set things up.

Appreciate any help!

There are 2 plus cables that goes to the battery plus. And there is one cable that is semi-ground with around 6 volts when connected to the two plus cables going to the battery.

The rest are smaller cables that I guess goes to P (parking) and other stuff such as lights.

I can get the ignition to go on, but upon pressing the starter the starter runs but the bike won't fire up. And I bet that has to do with the spark plugs not getting any juice from the batteri.

chrisxr
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: No key - remove ignition

Post by chrisxr » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:14 am

what model zxr have you got ?
if its the newer one you will need to connect a resistor to the grey wire back to the coil the other side of this is looking for +ve just chek first what model you have and what cdi you are using as you will also need to deristrict the box if it isnt a uk spec bike.

RMKD177
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: No key - remove ignition

Post by RMKD177 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:17 pm

The grey wire goes to the cdi not the coil. It can be spurred off the 12volt live(usually brown)feed to the cdi with a 100 ohm resistor in line which brings it down to around 9 volts (anti theft device) Also join the black/green from the cdi to earth (lock out switch) earths are black/yellow. That should get you running.